Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Signs of interest in solids?

Default Signs of interest in solids?

My DD has become quite the fussy eater in the last few weeks. Often she will not nurse. She'll cry instead of nursing. I've tried stretching out her feeding times from 3 to 4 hours but it hasn't helped. Is this a sign that she wants more than just breastmilk? She is 5 months old today.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Signs of interest in solids?

Rejection of the breast is not usually considered a sign of being ready for solids...

The signs of being ready for solids are generally:

* Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

A great link for more info is: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

It sounds a little more like a nursing strike... though without more info I couldn't tell you why she's doing this.

Here's more links with more suggestions:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

I hope this helps.

Jacqui

Hi ~ My son also goes through some periods of fussy eating. Around 4mo he started getting very distractible and fussed at the breast because he felt like he was missing out on all the action going on behind him. After a few days like that, I try to spend a little more time at home and to feed him in a dim room. I find if I nurse right after he gets up from a nap, and is still drowsy, he eats a lot longer and fusses a lot less. Also, I happened to nurse him once while he was "sitting up" and he seemed much happier and ate much longer, so now we frequently nurse that way, with him sitting on my lap, facing me. And, not sure if this is the case with you, but I have had an early return of my period, and my baby gets fussy 1-2 days prior to its arrival.

I've waited until 6mo to start solids, for a few reasons. We have a history of bad allergies in our family and 6mo is considered a good time to wait until to help avoid allergies. I think if your daughter's weight gain is good, you don't need to start solids for a nutritional reason (though I've read that ebf'd babies might need to start an iron supplement around 6mo). Developmentally you might want to start in order to help build eating skills like swallowing, chewing, etc.

I picked up a helpful book breastfeeding-friendly book on starting solids called Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Common Sense by Ellyn Satter. In it she recommends looking at your baby's developmental milestones as a way to see if they're ready for solids. Those include being able to sit by herself, open her mouth when she sees something she want to put in it, turn her head away to indicate she doesn't want something, etc.

I don't see why stretching out her feedings would help? Personally, I'd try nursing a little more often, say ever 2 or 2.5 hours? I'm just thinking maybe she's getting frustrated from being too hungry.

Also, she could be teething. Many babies start even earlier than 5 or so mo. Teething can cause a baby to want to nurse less because their mouth becomes associated with pain or more because it offers comfort and relief. I've seen both with ds, but usually the latter. lol Also, you might want to have her checked for an ear infection if she is showing any other symptoms (ie fever, pulling at ears, inconsoleable crying).

Here is LLL's FAQ on stating solids: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html You'll find it differs somewhat from the kellymom one and I tend to find the LLL ideas more reasonable, but maybe that's just me. lol

Just wanted to add that if you or your husband or any of your other children have ANY kind of alergies (not just food alergies), exema, asthma, etc it would probably be best to wait until at least 6 mo if not longer to intorduce solids. Research has suggested that the longer you wait to introduce any solids, the less likely the baby is to develop alergies.

Hope this helps!

Thanks ladies.

I was planning to wait until 6 months before introducing cereal anyway even though there is no family history of allergies.

I will try the suggestions. I know she is teething. Perhaps that's what this is. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor to rule out an ear infection anyway.
    Last edited by JenG; February 11th, 2006 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenG
    I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor to rule out an ear infection anyway.
    Good idea. An LLL leader suggested this to me when ds was 5 mo and fussing a lot at the breast. Turned out to just be teething.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Good idea. An LLL leader suggested this to me when ds was 5 mo and fussing a lot at the breast. Turned out to just be teething.
    Honestly I think it's a combination of teething and distraction.

I took her up to our spare room tonight to nurse and she nursed quite well. I'm going to do that again tomorrow and see how it goes.