Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle issues

Default bottle issues

I start work in about 2 weeks. over this past weekend i started to introuce my 2 1/2 month old a bottle.. yeah.. lets just say that didnt go over too well... my husband was the one tring to feed ehr then i tried. she was crying too much, we tried about 15 min.. so i gave her my boob and she sucked like crazy, with a mean look and moaning at me at the same time like "dont do that to me again mom!"
    i tried again today but this time i nursed her first then took out my nipple and gave her the bottle... yeah i thought i could pull a fast one but she is just to damn smart!... instant frown and she just gaged as the milk was trickling down her throat. she did bite the nipple.. but is confused how to suck i guess???
    so anyway my question is.. how long does it usually take for her to suck on the nipple? im using a soft yellow nuk.
    or does anyone have advice on other ways to feed her the bottle?
    oh and another question.. lol... since she didnt drink much out of the bottle how long is it good for?? can i still try at her next feeding? do i put it in the fridge right away? or can it be set out room temp?
    thanks in advance!

Default Re: bottle issues

We got the Adiri bottles, which were great for the first few feedings... Then, BAM! Nothing would calm her. Our daycare provider suggested that since she used a Mam pacifier, to get a Mam Bottle.

Ever since, NO problems!! Maybe find a bottle with a nipple that looks like her favorite pacifier?

Also, I HAD to be out of the room until she was okay with bottles. It's frustrating to hear, but it worked. And my DH had to lay her on the couch, or bouncy chair so that it wasn't the same position that I would feed her. This also is how daycare feeds her... In a bouncy chair.

Here are Kellymom's links for milk storage:
    Storage

Reusing milk

Good luck!! I just went through the bottle craziness about 2 weeks ago!!

thank you very much!! she is trying to suck but im sure she will get the hang of it.. thanks for the website

If by "yellow" you mean latex, I'd try a silicone nipple (they're clear). A lot of babies are turned off by the taste of the latex (can't blame them!) in the yellow nipples and pacifiers. My daughter used to spit out latex pacifiers and did much better when we switched to silicone.