Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning @18 months after neverending sleepless nights!

Unhappy Weaning @18 months after neverending sleepless nights!

I have an 18-month old boy who just will NOT wean at night. The day, no problem; he has been day-weaned for about 6 months. He will not and never has taken to a bottle, and warm water (or anything else) just makes it worse. Its like the only thing that makes him feel better is nursing! But he wakes up at least every 2-4 hours, so I am about to collapse!
    I went through the entire process by Jay Gordon and it worked - for about two weeks (after the crying stopped). Then, he started screaming again. After a week of him waking up and crying endlessly, paused by 15-minute periods where he would just pass out from exhaustion, I started nursing him again. Now, I am back to not sleeping. Some nights seem to be worse than others. Last night, he woke up 8 times between bedtime (11pm) and waking time (10am). I am happy he sleeps 11 hours, but I think that has a lot to do with him not sleeping steady; I would rather us both get a solid 6-8 hours of sleep!
    So now, I don't know if I should do the same method over again, or if there is something new to try. I hardly produce milk anymore, I know that most of this is for comfort, so I don't want to do this traumatically and just go cold turkey. But, I have to get sleep! I am working and just started back in school, and I am going to end up sick as @#$* if this keeps up! Please, any new ideas? I would really appreciate them!

Default Re: Weaning @18 months after neverending sleepless nights!

Sounds tough. As I was reading I thought teething maybe? How about trying some tylenol or motrin before bedtime to see if that helps?

Jay Gordon worked for me but my son wasn't ready until he was older and thankfully all teeth were in.

DS1 6/08/06
    DS2 5/26/09