Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting to breastfeed 3 weeks postpartum

Default Starting to breastfeed 3 weeks postpartum

my questions:
    Is it possible to build a milk supply 3 weeks postpartum without having really pumped or breastfed for that long?
    Has anyone reading this gone through something similar?

My story:
    Hello, I'm new to the board but not new to breastfeeding. I have a 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 1/2 week old. I breast fed my first 2 boys until they were 11 months old. Im dying to breastfeed my little girl but have some issues! You see, I had preeclampsia and hellp syndrome for this delivery 2 1/2 weeks ago. She was born healthy at 36 weeks gest! I was on bedrest for 3 months prior to the birth. I was also taking 3 g (max dose)of aldomet for the last trimester. I was kept on bedrest at the hospital a week after giving birth as well. Was not able to breast feed since I was on magnesium sulfate but I did breastfeed her twice at the hospital once I was off the mag but my milk had not even come in. I never quite really got engorged. The goal was to get my blood pressures regulated and out of the hospital so I was on many meds.. Lisinopril, Lebetalol and hydrochlorothiazide. Once I got home (still on bedrest) pressures went haywire and meds were adjusted... I asked docs if i could take something sutiable for breastfeeding.. all this time they thought i had given up so ... i'm back on aldomet and labetalol which are level 2 so i will be able to breast feed in 2 more days once the lisinopril leaves my system. I had not really been pumping all this time and only staretd 2 days ago. I find it hard t pump and dump, feed the baby and care for my other 2 boys .. it's all overwhelming.. i try to do it at least 3 times a day which i know is not enough. I only find about 10 ml at each session.. and my dauhghter is already guzzling up 2 1/2 -3 oz of formula at each feeding.. How can I compete! I've read that women on bed rest, or women that had pre-e or hellp, or women that received magnesium have trouble producing milk.. I am hoping that it wont be the case for me. I hope I can find some advice or support to achieve my goal to breast feed her! Loking foward to sharing with all of you!

Default Re: Starting to breastfeed 3 weeks postpartum

hi mama.

You had a rough start! I had the exact same conditions as you. And it seems unfortunately in your case your doctors were not well informed about your meds.

But now to getting you back to BF. Are you able to get any milk at all? Can you hand express and get anything? Do you have a pump? 3 weeks is still pretty early. If it were me, I would pump and nurse, and get that baby skin to skin as much as I could...all day long. Do you have a sling or a wrap that you could wear her topless? that way you could wear her to stimulate production while taking care of your others as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    But now to getting you back to BF. Are you able to get any milk at all? Can you hand express and get anything? Do you have a pump? 3 weeks is still pretty early. If it were me, I would pump and nurse, and get that baby skin to skin as much as I could...all day long. Do you have a sling or a wrap that you could wear her topless? that way you could wear her to stimulate production while taking care of your others as well.
    I agree with Hillary - putting your baby skin-to-skin will help you - I wore my son in a Moby Wrap and I was topless and he was just in a diaper. And I could do everything I needed with my 2 yr old daughter while wearing him in it.

And I know it's hard to pump while taking care of a baby and other kids, but I would try to pump every 2-3 hours for like 15-20 minutes per side. You need to pump frequently - signal your body to pump each time you are feeding your baby so it learns to make milk at those times.

I have heard there are medications that can help with milk production, but I don't know much about them. Did you see a lactation consultant in the hospital? It would be helpful if you could meet with one - if you can't, then maybe call your OB office and see him/her to see what can be done to help with medication to stimulate your milk production.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hi! My situation was very much the same as yours, however because we had to give her a bottle, she got used to it and refused to take the breast. She is now 6 weeks old and I'm starting the process over again but not getting much milk. Have you had any more luck?
    Last edited by @llli*rocknrollmommy; September 16th, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Rylie Alexandra
    Born 8/3/09
    6lbs 4oz

www.brindlepictures.shutterfly.com

Thanks for all the advice.. I'm still finding it hard to pump every 2 hours. I pump at least 3 times a day and offer her the breast before most feedings when i dont pump. She usually falls asleep on the breast for a short momment before screaming because she's hungry! I am not giving up yet.. I still get that measly 10ml when I pump... she has worked up her formula sessions to 3 1/2 sometimes 4 oz.. and is always looking for more. She is a tiny thing and you would have never uessed she would want to drink so much! Im feeling soo guilty that I cannot provide her with mama's milk.. specially because she is having soo much gas with the formula. They fed her similac advance her first few days at the hospital and that made her constipated so they switched her to smilac isomil which is soy based. she strugles so much when she poops... I do the little leg exercises for her and use mylicon drops for the gas. 7 out of 8 feedings have her fussy with pooping pain! (dont know how else to call it! lol.. she is not constipated because texture is very soft almost like mustard.) Maybe she just doesnt like the feeling of pushing... I tried to switch her to enfamil lipil last weekend... it got her screamin for a whole 24 hours and poop got pretty hard. so today I se the ped,... not surethey have a lactation consultant i can talk to there but i will ask. I am drinking the mothers tea as well.. gues it is all overwhelming for me right now. my hubby leaves for a week sunday and i will be alone with my 4 and 5 year old plus baby.. have no idea how i will deal with getting them up, fed and dressed for school (2 different schools) with baby in tow. Oh my this post turned out to be a rent.... so sorry!

rocknrollmommy I hope you are able to keep up.. im trying to stick to it .. i may give it another week or so ( although next week will be so hectic without hubby home) urggg!!!! then i'm done..

While you are pumping and still have to give formula I would switch to enfamil. There is an ingredient in similac that is not in enfamil that causes gas and constipation in some babies. It affected my daughter the same way. I relactated at 4 months. I had to pump every 2-3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. I also took domperidone. I was finally able to make 15 oz a day. Obviously never enough for his full feeds but I was very happy to be able to give him mama's milk! I wasn't able to get him to latch though so he always tooks the milk with a bottle. Good luck I'm sure you can do it. You aren't that far post partum and you still have a small milk supply. But you need to pump pump pump and offer her the breast at every feeding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tisansan View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.. I'm still finding it hard to pump every 2 hours. I pump at least 3 times a day and offer her the breast before most feedings when i dont pump. She usually falls asleep on the breast for a short momment before screaming because she's hungry! I am not giving up yet.. I still get that measly 10ml when I pump... she has worked up her formula sessions to 3 1/2 sometimes 4 oz.. and is always looking for more. She is a tiny thing and you would have never uessed she would want to drink so much! Im feeling soo guilty that I cannot provide her with mama's milk.. specially because she is having soo much gas with the formula. They fed her similac advance her first few days at the hospital and that made her constipated so they switched her to smilac isomil which is soy based. she strugles so much when she poops... I do the little leg exercises for her and use mylicon drops for the gas. 7 out of 8 feedings have her fussy with pooping pain! (dont know how else to call it! lol.. she is not constipated because texture is very soft almost like mustard.) Maybe she just doesnt like the feeling of pushing... I tried to switch her to enfamil lipil last weekend... it got her screamin for a whole 24 hours and poop got pretty hard. so today I se the ped,... not surethey have a lactation consultant i can talk to there but i will ask. I am drinking the mothers tea as well.. gues it is all overwhelming for me right now. my hubby leaves for a week sunday and i will be alone with my 4 and 5 year old plus baby.. have no idea how i will deal with getting them up, fed and dressed for school (2 different schools) with baby in tow. Oh my this post turned out to be a rent.... so sorry!
    Is there anyone that can come help out while your husband is away mama? Do you have any family or friends that can at least come help you with your other kids getting them off to school, fixing lunches and other things around the house?

I know how easy it is to get discouraged. I wanted to quit so many times...but don't give up mama. It can be a difficult road but it will be so worth it once you get there.

Do you have a sling or a wrap that you can wear her? That way you can have her near your breasts at all times. The closeness and the skin to skin will help your production. When you are at home keep her on your chest in kangaroo care as much as you can as well. Take baths together and encourage her to latch as well in the bath.

In addition to Mother's Milk tea, you can take fenugreek (or take the seeds), alfalfa, eat oatmeal, or take fennel (which helps with letdown).

I wasn't sure if I read it right, but are you pumping after feeding her? That will help tremendously too. I know it is a lot of work right now, and it seems daunting. But what you are asking your body to do, it can do. Take a deep breath and believe in yourself mama. You can do this.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My boy had the constipation and screaming while on the similac and isomil. The soy is even worse for that. I had good luck with the nestle good start formula; the LC suggested it, and it got rid of the screaming/farting pooping drama.

Also, you may want to try an SNS or Lactaid for supplementing. I have similar low supply issues, and the SNS keeps him at the breast while also giving him formula. Then if life interferes, and you can't pump after a feeding, your breasts have already been stimulated for hte 20 minutes it took to feed your baby.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around