Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I match a growth spurt with pumping?!

Default How can I match a growth spurt with pumping?!

Not sure why I can't remember what I did with DD2 but....point is, my LO is 6 mos and I am pretty sure she just hit a growth spurt. She went from nursing every 2 to 2.5 hrs to every hour or maybe hour and a half! It has been ok this weekend, thank goodness it was a 3 day! But, I go back to school tomorrow.
    I have been pumping once before I leave for school and once at lunch time. I just barely squeeze (literally sometimes!) out 16 ounces which is usually what she takes in. What do I do to keep up with this growth spurt? I don't want to ruin what has been a pretty good breastfeeding relationship so far!
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

Default Re: How can I match a growth spurt with pumping?!

I can certainly understand your concerns. A growth spurt AND back to school!
    You might find that she's going to reverse cycle (sleep more, eat less during the day - up and eating all night) for awhile to get you guys through the transition and growth spurt. If you can squeeze in some extra pumping time (even if it's 5 minutes) that will help, but she can certainly make up for it at night.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

As an EP'er I take more herbs when growth spurts hit and try to squeeze extra sessions in as and when poss. If you are still nursing while at home I would suggest maybe nursing more before you go out and again when you get back. Do you have any frozen that you could give once it defrosts?

Sorry I cna't be of more assistance ans, until recently, I was ok with the amounts pumped to the point where I had an excess of about 10% each day so could freeze quite a bit for emergencies.

Actually, I've been back at school for 2 weeks already. I don't know that I could get another pumping time at school. Would it be ok to do it at night after she is in bed or is that going to diminish my supply for at night?

She did reverse cycle when I first went back. But, we worked through it. So, if I have to pull from my freezer stash to get through this, will we be ok?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

You could power pump at night. 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for an hour.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    You could power pump at night. 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for an hour.
    But, how does that not affect how much she gets during the night?
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    But, how does that not affect how much she gets during the night?
    Does she have a longer break at night? If so pumping right after she nurses shouldn't effect what she's getting. When you pump more you'll make more. It usually takes a couple of days or more but if you add pumping you'll add milk!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

By power pumping you are telling your body to step it up pronto. So you should see results fairly quickly. I used to do it at about 5.30. Then (at that time) he was going to bed around 9 so milk was back by the time he needed to go to sleep. What time does your LO nurse to sleep?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

She typically nurses around 6 then eats some food then nurses to sleep around 8. So, I could pump around 9 after the older two are in bed.

I just discovered a new problem...I went to pull some bags out of my freezer stash, to cycle some because it's coming up on 6 months but, also in preparation for a longer day at work tomorrow. I realized that most, if not all of my bags from April and May are 3 ounce bags! She drinks 4 ounces now. I know I can mix stuff from the same day, but what do I do about the rest? Most of it is not frozen from the same day because it was excess back when I had some oversupply issues. Suggestions?!
    with my Best Friend
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    She typically nurses around 6 then eats some food then nurses to sleep around 8. So, I could pump around 9 after the older two are in bed.

I just discovered a new problem...I went to pull some bags out of my freezer stash, to cycle some because it's coming up on 6 months but, also in preparation for a longer day at work tomorrow. I realized that most, if not all of my bags from April and May are 3 ounce bags! She drinks 4 ounces now. I know I can mix stuff from the same day, but what do I do about the rest? Most of it is not frozen from the same day because it was excess back when I had some oversupply issues. Suggestions?!
    If the milk from day 1 was the same "age" as the milk from day two it doesn't matter. Freezing slows the degredation process WAAAY down so batches of milk produced within 24 hours or so should be ok if they were frozen fairly quickly. TBH I tend to mix the thawed stuff with fresh if I have more than an ounce over from the batches from the freezer without any problem. Better to use it than chuck it unnecessarily :-)

Obviously if you have a lipase issue then it will need to be scalded and cooled before you mix thawed with fresh