Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drastic Measures

Default Re: Drastic Measures

Thanks, ladies! One more question: should I sleep in another room for a short time?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    He also transitioned to his own bed during this time. For a while, he was "allowed" to come to our bed in the early morning and nurse, but I got to a point in my pregnancy I was having so much trouble getting back to sleep, I finally said, "this is it." DH totally took over night times after that and I told DS he couldn't nurse until I'd had my shower in the morning. The first night was rough, we had a couple of really early mornings, but for the most part, it went well.
    1. Did you put a bed in your room or in a separate room?
    2. What, exactly, did your DH have to do at night? (And did he complain about it?)
    3. How early was "early" for you two? (I am really scared about this part as I am a WOHM and have to bring work home occasionally. I really need my sleep.)
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertmama View Post
    Thanks, ladies! One more question: should I sleep in another room for a short time?
    This is what I ended up doing. My first just would not stop nursing at night, we wanted another baby but the night nursing was keeping me infertile, I was soooo done nursing him at night multiple times, and nothing would get him to give it up. We tried all the little tricks, and he just wouldn't quit. If he saw me during the night, he had to nurse. So DH, bless him, stepped up and took over night-time parenting. I slept elsewhere for a while, and DH took care of our child. It was only a night or two where he cried a bit when he woke up and asked for me, then he was done.

My DH is pretty laid-back, and he didn't complain. I think he was grateful I hadn't asked him to help me more previously ETA: forgot to add what he did. He got up and rocked Ian and patted him and soothed the angry beast as best he could. Yeah, it would have been easy for me to go nurse him to stop the crying, but knowing DH had him made it easier.

I did continue to allow daytime nursings though, until HE decided he was done, and I was pregnant again anyway by then.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; September 22nd, 2009 at 05:57 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My DH also took over most of the nighttime duties. We also got to a point where we would let him try and get himself back to sleep, even if it meant a few tears.

Laith is certainly old enough to be nightweaned, you might feel better about any daytime nursing if you can get him there!

I also slept in a room next to Logan's when we first transitioned him, and it was a rough 2 weeks or so. But now he's so used to sleeping in his own bed/room.... all of those headaches were WELL worth it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertmama View Post

Sleeping in seperate rooms has worked for us.

1. Did you put a bed in your room or in a separate room?
    He already had a bed in our room where he would sleep until his first night waking. We put a full sized bed in his room and he basically decided on his own that he was ready to sleep there at night.

2. What, exactly, did your DH have to do at night? (And did he complain about it?)
    DH does not do nighttimes well (isn't very patient), but once I just couldn't take DS at night anymore and said, this has to be it, he was willing. DH takes DS back to his bed. There was crying for a couple of nights, but he was with DH and we got through it. Sometimes he would give water, sometimes DS wanted cheese, DH would sing, etc.

3. How early was "early" for you two? (I am really scared about this part as I am a WOHM and have to bring work home occasionally. I really need my sleep.)
    I think there might have been a few mornings of waking an hour and a half or so earlier than usual. That didn't last long at all.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Well, things are going badly for us. My attempts at limiting feedings have resulted in intense screaming + hitting. I haven't started THE PLAN yet because I have work to do at night all this week and I just can't deal with the possibility of a kid who's not sleeping at least some of the time between 9pm-12am.

We have instituted a strict schedule for him with meals and waking up/going to bed. We were a little relaxed with it before and I don't think that would have helped the weaning thing at all. Unfortunately, he is taking a long time to fall asleep and gets frustrated because we will no longer let him get up and leave the bedroom. The rule now is: once he's in bed, he stays there until he falls asleep. We're with him, of course.

Case in point: I just had to abandon writing this post because Laith woke up and called for me. It was 11:22pm. He fell asleep at 9:00pm.

Laith's babysitter, who was a nanny for 18 years, offered to stay over for a while (while her husband is away on a trip) and get Laith to sleep without breastfeeding at a normal hour. This would be in early December. If we can't get this sorted out by then, I'm going to take her up on her offer.

Or I will resort to drastic measures: lemon juice/coffee/??? on the nipples. DH was weaned in this manner at age 4 and he wasn't traumatized. (But he's not too fond of coffee.)
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Have you tried Kathleen Huggins' book, "The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning"? I received her "Nursing Mother's Companion" as a gift while I was pregnant and found it extremely helpful.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!