Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drastic Measures

Default Drastic Measures

I'm sure the answer is probably no but I'll ask anyways...has anyone used drastic measures to reduce/stop BFing? Given the behavior of my 2.5-yr old towards attempts at reducing time/elimination of 'core' feedings, I'm wondering if the gentle route to weaning is going to work for us.

*'Core' feedings = 3 Xs in early morning between 5-7am (yes, three!)
    naptime (when I'm around)
    return from work
    bedtime
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Drastic Measures

What have you tried so far to reduce/eliminate sessions? What does "gentle route" and "drastic measures" mean for you? Depending on what you've already tried, I might be able to offer some ideas. Also, the book "How Weaning Happens" is a good one to read.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hi there

The list below are some techniques you might find useful - what do you think?

Also - some moms find they can eliminate one session first and work on the rest slowly - but you are thinking that may not work for you? Is there some reason you're looking to end nursing abruptly? What would be an ideal situation for you? Not nursing at all? nursing at naptime and bed time?

We're here to help you.

• Breastfeed the child when he asks, and don't offer when he doesn't. This simple technique may help accelerate the weaning process when used with other methods.

• Change daily routines. Instead of heading home after picking him up from daycare, head to the grocery store or elsewhere instead.

• Try to avoid the "nursing chair" or other usual "nursing station" in your home as much as possible at the times when he usually would ask to nurse.

• Stand up as much as possible!

• If possible, get help from other family and household members. If he usually nurses upon waking, try getting up before him and have the child's father or someone else do all the morning routine.

• Anticipate nursings and offer substitutions and distractions. If he nurses at certain times of the day, try offering a snack or drink at that time.

• Take him to his favorite place at the usual nursing time. Other distractions to try are reading, bike rides, visits from friends, a new toy, walking/singing to the child.

• Shorten the length of nursings or see if he accepts a postponed nursing. If he doesn't understand the concept of waiting or of time, this may not be helpful. If often works for older nurslings.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE.

"A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three."
    Grantly Dick-Read

Eme gave a great list of ideas.
    If it's not working for you its way ok to just say no, I'm sorry your not nursing now.
    You can nurse at nap time and then be prepared for tears.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    Eme gave a great list of ideas.
    If it's not working for you its way ok to just say no, I'm sorry your not nursing now.
    You can nurse at nap time and then be prepared for tears.
    Gentle weaning is a excruiciatingly long process for me. And there's a lot of tears here. I still cave and nurse when he seems to really need it, especially for nap and bedtime, but say no as much as possible. I think with really extended nursing (i.e. three years), so much of it is just habit. It's what he does when he can't think of anything else, sometimes. It's an easy solution to everything, and I don't think he'd wean willingly for a very long time if I didn't push it. But it's getting more and more uncomfortable for me physically, and I dread the thought of tandeming, so I'm pushing it more and more. And I don't feel guilty (much) because I've done it for so long.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

What have you already tried that's not working?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I cut out the after work session by taking Nora to the park or something instead of going home. Then by the time we got home it was dinner time, then bath, then bedtime and I nursed her to sleep.

Once I had that one gone, I got rid of the bedtime feedings by putting a time limit on it. I'd sing twinkle twinkle 3 times and then no more milk. I'd tell her every time and between each repitition of the song so she'd be prepared. Then I stuck with it and didn't give in. It took surprisingly little time for her to get used to it. I was amazed.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Pregnancy is also an awesome way to help them wean.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Pregnancy is also an awesome way to help them wean.
    For some...but not for others. Emma's nursing didn't change one bit from my pregnancy, I eliminated sessions over the pregnancy, but she didn't care at all that there wasn't as much milk.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Eme - you're a leader!!!!! Wow!!! Congrats!!! I haven't been online much because I am trying to buy a duplex in NH and it has taken up most of my free time during the summer and is continuing to do so now. So I'm totally out of the loop about everything...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!!!

I have tried:
    -distracting with toys, food and drink (except at night - but maybe I should
    use water?)
    -distracting with a suggestion to do something outside the house (although
    difficult right now because it's Ramadan here and everything is closed during
    the day - plus, it's hot outside)
    -getting up and going somewhere else as he's asking me for "more biz" (our
    word for boob)
    -limiting the time he's on by saying he can have 5 min on each side and then
    we're done (to which he replies, "No 5 minutes. No done.")
    -having his father pat his back to help him get back to sleep while I roll over
    and pretend to sleep (at night)

I managed to eliminate all the other feedings this way. But he is so resistant to giving up "core" feedings. He screamed and hit me the other night (read: early morning 5am) when I tried to stop the feeding after 5 min on each side. Normally, he'll go on and on for @ 20 min! I'm not comfortable nursing on my side so I often end up fully awake and fully pissed off. But I don't want an enraged, awake child to deal with at 5am so I give in to his demands in the end.

We didn't nighttime wean because I chose sleep over battling it out with him. (Bad idea.) And I think I believed he would stop waking up to nurse as he got older. (Yeah, right.)

Plus, lately, he's taken forever to fall asleep so he ends up BFing for 30 min!

He went to Ohio with his dad this summer to visit DH's family for 4 days. I was totally against the idea at first because I had never been away from him before and I was tortured by the thought of him crying for me and his "biz" in the middle of the night. (I cried my eyes out. I thought I was being a horrible mom.) Well, the joke was on me because he asked for me ONCE and the "biz" ONCE during the trip AND SLEPT 11 HOURS STRAIGHT EACH NIGHT WITHOUT WAKING UP! Plus, he drank lots of milk which he won't normally do. Granted, he was kept busy by his 5 cousins but the bottom line is that he managed just wonderfully without me around for a short while.

I want to get pregnant in the next 3-4 months and I DON'T want to tandem BF. I've given every bit of myself, physically and emotionally, to this child and I need a break before another one comes along. And I do not want to BF Laith on any more flights. It's slightly embarrassing (yes, I am self-conscious about nursing a 2.5-yr old in front of people) and totally annoying, especially when you have the row in which the arm rests do not go up.

I looked for "How Weaning Happens" when I was home in the U.S. In fact, I tried to find ANY book about weaning. Nada. Zip. Zilch. If anyone would be willing to ship a copy to me, I have PayPal.
    Last edited by @llli*desertmama; September 13th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky