Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recent drop in milk production in one breast

Post Recent drop in milk production in one breast

I have noticed that one breast has significantly taken a drop in the amount of milk I'm producing. I EP, but am trying to get back into BF more, so I'm aware of how much milk I pump per session...anywhere from 3-7 oz. per breast, per feeding. Well...one breast has dropped to around 1-1.5 oz. per session.

I recently had a clogged duct, and the pain has subsided....but the breast still feels full and large. Any ideas about what is going on??? How can I get the supply back up? Please help!

Default Re: Recent drop in milk production in one breast

I EP, but am trying to get back into BF more, so I'm aware of how much milk I pump per session...anywhere from 3-7 oz. per breast, per feeding. Well...one breast has dropped to around 1-1.5 oz. per session.
    This link on getting baby back to the breast may be helpful: Help - My Baby Won't Nurse!

I recently had a clogged duct, and the pain has subsided....but the breast still feels full and large. Any ideas about what is going on???
    I'm guessing the clog is still there.

How can I get the supply back up?
    Pump, pump, pump, and then pump some more. Try to vary your pumping position- try pumping with the affected breast pointed straight down, for example. A soy lecithin supplement may also help deal with the clog. If the clog clears completely and you still don't see an increase in supply, then pump more (increasing both frequency and duration) and try some herbal supplements (fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are all helpful).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your post...however, I have a question...

If the clogged duct is still there (I believe it might be too), how can I remove it, and when should I expect it gone? I've been massaging it, pumping in many different ways (including leaning over so breast is straight down), and used warm compresses. It's been about 3 days since I last felt any pain in the breast. But again, a huge drop in amount pumped. It consistently yields 1/3 of what the other breast expresses.

If the clogged duct is still there (I believe it might be too), how can I remove it
    Just the way you have been- pump, pump, pump, vary your pumping position, massage, and moist heat.

and when should I expect it gone?
    There's no real answer to this question- it's going to differ for every mama and every situation. It could be gone in one minute, it could take a few days... Since the pain is gone, it sounds like you are on your way to having the clog resolve. But it may still take some time before it is totally gone.

But again, a huge drop in amount pumped. It consistently yields 1/3 of what the other breast expresses.
    This is to be expected. If the clog is still present, there's a large area of the breast that just isn't being drained, or at least isn't being thoroughly drained. Also, clogs can cause milk production to drop- when the breast isn't emptied well, the breast gets the message that the milk it has made isn't needed, and therefore decreases production. Now, in the case of a clog, the message is erroneous, but the end result is the same. But if you continue to pump, and pump the affected side more frequently and for longer than the unaffected side, you should be able to get production up to normal again.

Oh- and just FYI: 3-7 oz per breast is a LOT of milk to be producing in one pumping session. 3 oz is pretty normal, but 7 oz is probably in the oversupply realm unless you're nursing twins.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"