Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you take a prenatal vitamin?

Default do you take a prenatal vitamin?

My DS is 21 months and still BF. I think I kept taking my prenatal vitamins for a little while when he was a newborn, but haven't taken them since then. I do take calcium supplements since we are on a dairy-free diet. I have really good nutrition so I just feel like I get what I need from food. I do feel a little guilty though - I know you are "supposed" to keep taking prenatals while breastfeeding?
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; September 6th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: do you take a prenatal vitamin?

My OB, GP and LO's doctor all said to keep on the prenatal vitamins while I nurse. The key being is that we don't always eat a balanced diet every day. Since we're supplying so much nutrition to our LO's via our BM, we need to be sure that we supply them with everything they need. It's almost impossible to get everything we need everyday. Also, to be sure that we're not only giving them everything, but that we've got enough for ourselves to keep us healthy as well at the end of the day too.

That being said, I find that my prenatal vitamin still constipates me. So I tend to only take one every other day. The pain of being constipated and the time invested "dealing with it" when I need to watch LO is time I don't have.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

When I remember, I still take my prenatals and calcium. But I don't always remember. I do know that I feel better when I do take them, though.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I started taking pre-natal vitamins when I was TTC my DD, who is now almost 2. I continued taking them after she was born, and since she was still nursing when I got pg this time, I am still taking them! Gosh, thinking back, I have been on pre-natals since, ohhhhhhh around June 2006?? I plan to continue taking them after this LO is born, probably until he weans, and then I will switch to a regular daily multi-vitamin.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

No, I don't. I take calcium because I don't get enough through my diet some days, but that's it. I actually found out a couple months ago that I had way too much vitamin B6 (B6 toxicity), and it was caused by my multi-vitamin, (some people develop a sensitivity to the B6 in multis and I'm one of them). I'm not taking a multi-vitamin again (esp. as there is not one available without B6 in it and my body is still trying to get rid of the excess B6--it is water soluble but I guess if you consume too much, the body can't excrete it all and it gets stored in the muscles and causes nerve damage which can take some years to recover from). Once I get my IUD removed for TTC, I will take a folic acid supplement. I already feel horribly guilty because I have no idea if all this excess B6 affected DD while I was pregnant and BF'ing.

It is much better to try to get your vitamins from a balanced diet instead of a pill.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

I started taking my prenatal vitamins before I got pregnant, during the pregnancy and I still take them, when I remember. DS is 5 months old.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*clb.1812 View Post
    No, I don't. I take calcium because I don't get enough through my diet some days, but that's it. I actually found out a couple months ago that I had way too much vitamin B6 (B6 toxicity), and it was caused by my multi-vitamin, (some people develop a sensitivity to the B6 in multis and I'm one of them). I'm not taking a multi-vitamin again (esp. as there is not one available without B6 in it and my body is still trying to get rid of the excess B6--it is water soluble but I guess if you consume too much, the body can't excrete it all and it gets stored in the muscles and causes nerve damage which can take some years to recover from). Once I get my IUD removed for TTC, I will take a folic acid supplement. I already feel horribly guilty because I have no idea if all this excess B6 affected DD while I was pregnant and BF'ing.

It is much better to try to get your vitamins from a balanced diet instead of a pill.
    Wow... I'm so sorry mamal! I have always been a little concerned about how much of each vitamin is contained in PNV's and multivitamins. I mean, why do I need to get 100% of my Vit C in a pill when I'm already getting way more than 100% from my diet anyway? I know I'm not anemic and I get enough iron from my diet, and we eat lots of whole grains, and I think I get a lot of the trace stuff from all the nuts and seeds and other things I eat. I just don't like the thought of getting 100% of my requirements from a supplement on top of all that I'm getting from food. It just seems like too much. It almost makes me want to eat worse so I'm not getting too much! I did take PNV's every single day while pregnant and would do so for any future pregnancy (or at least folate and iron) but other than that, I'm just not sure...

I just started taking them again after getting sick and his pedi recommended it to me. The whole time I was ill, DS continued to do well and she explained that he was benefitting from all my vitamins and antibodies but I appeared depleated, thus why I was sick and he was not.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

I've continued to take one all through breastfeeding, just something OTC.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I take an OTC while pregnant and while bfing, so since I was ttc #1. So 3 or 4 yrs, cause I had heard it was good to be on them when ttc!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*