Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems!!!

Default Problems!!!

Further to my post from July, I had just about been maintaining supply while ep'ing.

Until this week.

My LO is now 6 months old, I have been menstruating regularly for the last 4 months and am on no medication other than Sertraline (anti depressants) for PPD. I am not on birth control and am definitely NOT preg.

My issue is that I am now on the XXL medela breastshileds (36mm), am taking all the herbs I can cram down my throat, drinking heaps and eating all the right things and still my supply has crashed from 1100ml per day down to 800ml. It is taking 7 hours over the whole day to get this 800ml which is biting into looking after my LO and getting enough rest, etc. I am making sure I pump at midnight and 3am to maximise the whole hormone/stimulation thing but this is not actually making a difference to output - ie it is still going down!

My breasts are painful and am now getting vasospasm of the nipples (they turn white and hard after pumping) because of the amount of trauma they are suffering. Contact with my LO is not a problem as I am a SAHM so I can be with him when pumping, and get lots of cuddles in through the day. We are also co sleeping now but this does not help with the supply.

I have continued to try to put LO to the breast but I cannot get him to latch so nursing to improve supply is not an option.

I am not getting a proper let down I know that - all I get is drips not a spurt and this is right the way through each pumping session.

Should I simply accept that I am not going to be able to provide a realistic amount of bm for my LO and hug myself for persevering this long or is there anything I am missing?

All advice gratefully received

Default Re: Problems!!!

Wow, Mama- you've been working SO HARD and we all admire what you've achieved.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Just a few things you might want to consider:
    - The pump. What make/model do you have? It may be time for a more powerful pump, or to get the motor checked on the one you have. Some moms even have good luck with manual pumps- so maybe switch things up and see if you get better results.
    - Drugs. There are 2 anti-nausea drugs that are commonly prescribed to nursing moms because they have the side-effect of increasing milk supply. Reglan is used in the US, and Domperidone is used in Canada and the EU. The problem with Reglan is that it can increase your risk of depression, so it's not really PPD-compatible. The problem with Domperidone is that it isn't FDA-approved and is not legally available in the US.
    - Frequency. It sounds like you are pumping a lot- but are you pumping for long time periods, or more frequently for shorter time periods? If you're doing it one way, try the other- you may have good results. When I had supply problems, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and had good results.
    - Power pumping. Pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, and finally pump for 10 for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in an one-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts mom's supply during a growth spurt.

If you try all this, and you're still not seeing an increase in supply... Well, then IMHO you have done about all you can reasonably do, and you should relax, pat yourself on the back, and just try to keep that 800 ml/day going, because every ml of breastmilk is good. It doesn't need to make up the totality of your baby's diet to be worthwhile.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Problems!!!

I agree with everything Mommal said.

You have done so much for your LO.

I just wanted to echo the power pumping(I used to do it in front of the TV and the warning about Reglan (it doesn't work for everyone and it really can make even people with no PPD risk factors depressed).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Wow, Mama- you've been working SO HARD and we all admire what you've achieved.

If you try all this, and you're still not seeing an increase in supply... Well, then IMHO you have done about all you can reasonably do, and you should relax, pat yourself on the back, and just try to keep that 800 ml/day going, because every ml of breastmilk is good. It doesn't need to make up the totality of your baby's diet to be worthwhile.
    I had to accept that formula was going to be part of my LO's diet fairly early on but I kept bfing until 11 months (even though I got pregnant at about 7mo). Anything you can give your LO is success.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.