Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left side under-producing..

Question Left side under-producing..

How can I get my left side to produce a better supply?

I've been having baby use the right side first to help stimulate production but after a couple of minutes she is not satisified and I have to switch her to my right side.

Am I on the right track or is there something else I can do? I don't have an electric pump so pumping while nursing is not an option.

Default Re: Left side under-producing..

HI Jen!

It can be so frustrating, I know what you are going through! (((hugs)))

It's very likely that your baby prefers to nurse on the right side because it has more milk, since you said that she nurses mostly on that side, which means the left breast has developed a higher supply. First of all, it's perfectly fine that the baby only nurse from one breast, if that is ok with you. I just wanted to tell you that so you know that it should not affect your baby's health. But being lopsided can certainly be a challenge when you don't like it. I remember going through this and I didn't like having my two breasts look and feel so different! You can try pumping on the left side to increase the milk production, and try offering your baby that side, if she doesn't want it, you can try this when she's sleeping, even if she's nursing on that side for comfort that can stimulate your supply on that breast.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes

Carmen

I have this same problem. Be sure to research this site - found a great article on it here.

My last child actually refused the left side eventually and I was lopsided,too. I wore vests which hid the fact (They also cover leaking and can be removed if you child throws up on you in pubic for a half-rebuild-of-sorts.)

This time I'm "on line" for the first time with a new baby in the house. So, I like to sit at the computer and lurk with the mouse in my right hand and the baby on my left arm. She likes the extra nursing on that side when she's not really hungry and I'm hoping the extra stimulation will help keep things going on that side.

It's hard when I want to type something, though (one handed). I try to mostly read, research, "window" shop, etc.

Thanks Carmen for the info about one-sided nursing. I meant to say that I've been starting her on my left side to help build up the supply and then switch her to my right when she starts getting fussy!

I've been lopsided most of my life anyway so I doubt anyone will notice the difference!

Dedra - maybe you should get a sling? Then you can use both hands to type! LOL!

Yes, Jen, I do need to work more with that sling!

I've just never owned anything I liked (and I've tried lots of things). Saw the discussion on slings and the links were great. Love the sharing of resources. Think I'd like to try a hand made / hand tied one.

But now, I'm off on a bunny trail....