Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advance Warning - Rant!

Default Advance Warning - Rant!

I'm just so mad right now!

Woke up this morning with a fever and a red, extremely painful spot on my breast!!!!!!!!!

I have had this problem 10 times before!!! And LO is 21 months now darn it! I should NOT be having a plugged duct now.

All day I have rested, massaged, taken ibuprofen, nursed as much as it is possible to nurse a jumping, turning, talking, laughing, almost 2 year old. But it's still so painful tonight, even more so than it was during the day.

I am just so mad. I don't want this to turn into full blown mastitis.

My breasts are so so sensitive to any pressure on them at all. I ususally have to go braless which here in Austin is OK b/c the culture is pretty hippy and very few women wear bras anyway. But yesterday I had an appointment with my DS1's therapist so at 5 pm I put on a bra. I took it off at 7 pm. It's the ONLY thing I did that would have caused this! I PUT ON A BRA FOR TWO HOURS!!!! It seems like such a big price to pay for such a little thing as wearing a bra.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. I'm just so upset.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Advance Warning - Rant!

I'm so sorry that you're going through this, mama! I know this might sound weird, but - if you can't get your LO to nurse it out, could you a) take a hot shower & massage it to loosen it and then b) get your DH to help get it out?

BTW, a friend of mine stopped wearing bras for a similar reason; she replaced them with stretchy lace camisoles. She said that they were supportive enough to keep her breasts from doing the "braless dance", but they were gentle enough not to cause plugged ducts. Just a thought.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Sorry you're so prone to this, mama. Stupid over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Stupid over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks mommas!

sixyearplan: It's OK to laugh, I know it's kinda funny. But with DS1 and DS2 it's the only thing I have found that consistantly causes plugged ducts.

imma2nonstoppaa: Thank you, I have been doing the hot shower, hot compress thing and then hand expressing. After I use a cold compress to help make myself comfortable. I also use the camisoles however my girls are a happy 38DD and for the appointment I wanted a little more support. I don't know why I chanced it except that I hadn't had a problem in so long I guess I thought it wouldn't happen if I wore a bra for a short amount of time. I was wrong.

mommal: Thanks! I know, stupid bras. I used to think a man invented it but then I looked up the history and found that it was actually a woman. What was she thinking?!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I used to think a man invented it but then I looked up the history and found that it was actually a woman. What was she thinking?!
    I guess it was an improvement over the corset for some women... But it sure isn't the perfect solution to fighting gravity!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Does anyone know if I start taking soy lecithin now would it clear up my plug or is it only preventitive?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF

I think you can start at any time.

I'm so sorry you're still having that problem! I am just getting over mastitis and getting clogs worked out. Luckily, DD (also almost 21 months old), decided to nurse a ton overnight last night (usually she doesn't BF overnight any more--we still cosleep--but her 2 yr. molars were bothering her and I think she was hungry because she didn't eat much in the day time yesterday) and that did wonders for me.

Go ahead and try the lecithin. I picked some up today. I think I still had some clogs and I noticed this evening (trying to hand express milk on that side), that things really seemed to be flowing much better. The only thing different today was the lecithin.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    Does anyone know if I start taking soy lecithin now would it clear up my plug or is it only preventitive?
    You should definitely try the soy lecithin in addition to all the other things you know to get the clog cleared.

Hope you feel better soon. I also had dealt with mastitis when my LO was the same age, it's frustrating so late in the game!!!

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09