Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: horrible clog & engorgement on right side

Default horrible clog & engorgement on right side

DD is 20 months old and I think may be on the road to weaning. She has slowed down her nursing to mainly comfort nursing, with the possible exception of the before bed session (sometimes she will BF a little then, sometimes just comfort nurse). I have long had a bit of an oversupply situation with my right boob and the side and top of the breast have become swollen and painfully engorged and warm to the touch. I was starting to feel a bit run down so I saw my doctor and he put me on an antibiotic for mastitis, but I still cannot get the clog out of my breast completely. I have tried massaging it in a hot shower and pumping (since DD mainly comfort nurses and for short periods of time, BF'ing doesn't help me). I was able to massage the clog out a couple days ago, but it came back yesterday (or maybe it's a different clog), and I still can't get it out completely. Pumping helped a little, but that breast takes forever to letdown and I barely pumped anything from it even though I know there was more milk in there. I just don't have any more ideas to try.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Default Re: horrible clog & engorgement on right side

gosh your doing all the right things.
    I think maybe I would give the doctor a call after the week end if your not fealing any beter.
    You might need a diffent anti-botic.

would your partner be willing to try and help the clog along?

I tried dangle nursing and she didn't stay at it long. I think maybe if she woke overnight to BF that might be the only time she would dangle nurse without distractions.

I haven't tried the lecithin? Where do you buy it & how much do you take?
    Cheryl

It's a last resort, but... is your DH willing to "take one for the team"? I have read about moms who needed their partner's help to relieve engorgement when the baby wasn't available to do the job.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the replies! I'm doing much better this morning.

Taking 2 Advil instead of just 1 seemed to help some and last night, DD decided she wanted to nurse all night overnight (I think her teeth were bothering her and she didn't eat much in the daytime yesterday). She doesn't usually nurse overnight now (we still cosleep), but last night, it couldn't have come at a better time. I woke up to my breast feeling much better and not swollen. I think I am going to pick up some lecithin today.
    Cheryl