Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting solids soon w/ a few questions

Default starting solids soon w/ a few questions

Nessa is going to start solids in a few weeks, and I have some questions for all you experienced mamas.

We are starting with rice cereal, but our doctor's instructions call for mixing with water instead of bm. I can just use bm, right? Do I need to give her a little water to drink if I don't use it in her cereal?

If anyone has experience with Nuby Nibblers I'd love to hear about it!

Our pedi recommends no fruits until after 1 year so that she develops a strong liking for veggies of all kinds. Sounds reasonable to me, but does anyone know of a downside to this?

Also, this article about Celiac Disease might be useful for those of you with family histories of CD. The basic suggestion is to avoid gluten (so no wheat or barley) until over 12 months old.

TIA, Mamas!
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

Default Re: starting solids soon w/ a few questions

Hi there. While I respect the recommendatsion made by your doc... you might find some alternative information on this link and this one. Oh and this one that talks about 'delaying' solids.

LLL recommendation is:

Breastfed babies do not need to have complementary food introduced until about the middle of the first year. Before that time, you will notice some signs that your baby is changing developmentally, in preparation for beginning solids in a few months. You will notice that:

he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like as this is generally a place where moms find there's an "alternate" way to feed baby
    Last edited by @llli*number4; September 5th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I recommend waiting until at least 6 months before starting solids. And the baby's first food does not have to be cereal. Bananas and avocados make excellent first foods and are much more nutritious. I agree with the pp on signs that baby is ready for solids. In fact, my baby turns one today and just now started showing signs of being ready for solids. As far as mixing cereal, you can use breast milk but I always felt it made the cereal too runny. Though my dd wouldn't eat the stuff no matter what it was mixed with.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

I have used both BM and water to mix with the cereal and while both work well, DS seems to prefer the consistency and the taste when anything I make has been mixed with BM. I definately agree that the avocados or bananas are a good first food and we try to use those more than the cereals as well. I also will mix those with a bit of the BM to help with consistency. Also, we are using mango, papaya, peas, green beans, squash and sweet potato. But with all of these, I use them extremely sparingly and it's mostly just BM that is providing his diet. I offer solids twice per day AFTER he has nursed at lunch and at dinner and then after I do a few spoonfuls, I give him the spoon and let him have at it as he likes to attempt to feed himself. And I do mean ATTEMPT.....he makes a huge mess but looks awfully cute doing it.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Thanks much, mamas!

I like the idea of BLS, but I also want to be in a constructive dialogue with our pedi, so it is great to have pointers to the resources you indicate.

She is starting to really be interested in our food, and has started reaching for the food on my plate when we're eating. But she can't sit by herself yet, and does not have the pincher grasp down...
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

dr sears has some info on his web site about starting soilds..

http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp

fruits are very healthy foods. I think avioding them seams sort of silly.

this link might help also it talks about the worlds heathiest foods

http://whfoods.org/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nessasmama View Post
    She is starting to really be interested in our food, and has started reaching for the food on my plate when we're eating. But she can't sit by herself yet, and does not have the pincher grasp down...
    Actually, the pincer grip will come later. The best foods to offer baby first are those she can hold in her fist, like sticks of vegetables and fruit.

As for the argument about offering vegetables before fruit, what I've noticed with babies is that they change their minds *all the time* about what they like and don't like to eat. Just keep offering a variety of things and don't be surprised if what she gobbles up by the fistful one day gets carelessly tossed aside the next

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nessasmama View Post

If anyone has experience with Nuby Nibblers I'd love to hear about it!
    I have not had much luck with the Nuby Nibblers. My LO is 7 1/2 months old and whatever I put in that Nibbler (like cantelope, or grated apple, or squash), it is very floppy and very messy. The mesh part flops over so when he tries to put it into his mouth he can't because the mest part just flops over. So he just ends up putting the plastic part in his mouth and then you can imagine how messy everything gets with the mesh part flopping around and not really making it into his mouth. It doesn't work very good for us.

But what it might work for is forzen BM for his teething. I put some BM into one of those small ice cube trays to freeze. I plan on taking one of those small frozen cubes of BM and putting it into the Nuby and see if he will suck on that when he needs something cold on his gums. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks so much, mamas!

I thought the pincer grasp came a few months down the road... We're going to have to see what she does and when, and start having things available for her. We will probably try a bit of rice cereal first just to assess her swallowing, etc.

Yeah, I just couldn't figure out how to use the nibbler by looking at it. Sounds like it might just be more frustrating for her than interesting/fun.

I gotta say, I am really looking forward to messy floors. My husband and I love food from all over the world, and just can't wait to share that with her!
    Loving cloth diapers
    194 * * * ****140****135