Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden supply loss at 10 months - due to illness?

Default Sudden supply loss at 10 months - due to illness?

I have been nursing my daughter for ten months. She was exclusively breastfed until about 9 months, when we introduced table foods. She was wetting 6-7 diapers a day and is now down to 3-4 for the past two weeks. She tends to have a BM 1/day but is now at 1/3 days.

Two weeks ago she and I both got the flu and ever since my supply has seemed to diminish to nearly nothing. The doctor said she has no signs of dehydtration, so to just put her to the breast more often, but it isn't picking up.

Also, she refuses any other kind of fluid (water, juice, etc.) and won't take a bottle OR a cup of any sort. We've tried straws, droppers, syringes, you name it. The only way I can get extra fluid into her is ice cubes, but it's certainly not enough to increase her output that much. I've added a 15 minute doublepumping session after each feed, but am starting to wonder if it's just too late to get my supply back up.

I had wanted to extend nursing beyond a year, but at this point my main concern is simply getting her enough fluids to stay hydrated and on track with development.

Could the supply loss be due to illness? At ten months is there any way to get it back? I'm at a loss for what to do at this point, but 3-4 wets a day for almost two weeks now is worrying me. Thanks for your help/support.

Default Re: Sudden supply loss at 10 months - due to illness?

Is her 'lack' of diapers the only sign you have of your supply being low?

As they get older their bladder (and bowel) change and start to work more 'efficiently" ( e.g. not eliminating what's in it right when it gets in there) and so they can 'hold' it a little longer.

If she is growing well and happy and healthy, bright eyes and sweet as usual (and you're doc isn't concerned) I'd just keep an eye on it and feel secure in knowing her body is changing - maturing.

Having said that if a baby is sick and doesn't nurse as often as they normally do, you might find a dip in supply but, as your (wise) doctor said, just put her to the breast more and it should pick right back up
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You have eased my mind endlessly. The diapers are my only real indication because when pumping I have always gotten varying amounts. I was mainly alarmed by the darker color/concentration in the diapers since the number of wets went down so suddenly (literally one day six; next day three).

I did however take an EPT today and it turns out I'm about five weeks along with a sibling for DD! It seems early for a supply drop, but at this point I'm realizing that obsessing rather than resting will do me no good. Instead we are spending the day nursing and trying to just savor as much of this relationship as I can!

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post

Is her 'lack' of diapers the only sign you have of your supply being low?

As they get older their bladder (and bowel) change and start to work more 'efficiently" ( e.g. not eliminating what's in it right when it gets in there) and so they can 'hold' it a little longer.

If she is growing well and happy and healthy, bright eyes and sweet as usual (and you're doc isn't concerned) I'd just keep an eye on it and feel secure in knowing her body is changing - maturing.

Having said that if a baby is sick and doesn't nurse as often as they normally do, you might find a dip in supply but, as your (wise) doctor said, just put her to the breast more and it should pick right back up
    Wow, you have a very sensible doc.
    I had a dip in supply when my periods returned. I would suggest that you have a moon day. Rest with your baby (in bed, on the sofa) , get partner, relatives etc to take over with other children household chores etc, bring you meals and snacks. Just concentrate on offering the breast, cuddling, skin to skin etc.

Your milk should be back to normal soon. Rest well and get better soon.
    Lots of and and and far too much

Mammy to DD1 (10yrs), DS1(8yrs), DD2(4yrs) and DD3(9mths)

Congrats!! I was coming along to suggest pregnancy, just because I found out I'm preggers when DD was the same age.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010