Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping while driving

Default Pumping while driving

Just curious what everyone out there has to say about pumping while driving?
    Do you do it or would you consider it? If you do it, how? Tips, tricks?

I tried once using my easyexpressions hands free pumping bra and then used my hooter hider so no one driving next to me could really tell. But I can't say it was the safest thing to do while driving. I kept wanting to look down and check on my progress which was hard while driving.

Just want to see what others have to say about it!

Default Re: Pumping while driving

I know other moms do it. I never have and I don't think I could, but I am always having problems with the pump slipping off so I'd just end up with milk everywhere. If you think you can do it safely I don't see a problem with it, I just know I wouldn't be able to concentrate on driving while I was doing it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I did it once when I was in a jam to get back to the office. I made sure to hook up before I started driving and didn't unhook until I was parked. I was so worried about being safe. It was weird though and I felt like everyone could tell what I was doing even though I was completely covered. I would say don't do it unless you have to. I didn't get a whole lot of milk and it took forever to let down, but I did feel rather efficient though getting 2 things done at once.

I used to do it everyday! Driving to work and pumping under my Hooter Hider , aah the good old days!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi there,

I do it every day! I pump exclusively (no nursing due to problems early on) and so I invested in a Medela Freestyle for the easy portability and battery operation. I only work 3 days a week, but those days are 12 hrs long and my drive is an hour and ten minutes EACH WAY, so it is really essential for me to PWD (pump while driving). This way I don't have to get up extra early to pump before driving to work, and when I get home I can spend time with my husband and LO before bedtime instead of having to worry about hooking myself up right when I get home.

I wear a camisole under my clothes with holes cut in the breast cups (homemade) and that makes the task completely hands-free (I don't like the hands-free setup that came with my pump). I hook myself up once I'm in my car and let 'er rip for about 30 min. Then, I park at a gas station and unhook myself, and it's back on the road. I find that after I PWD, I feel like I've really accomplished something by multitasking and it actually revs me up for my day! Also, PWD is the only time during my day that I'm guaranteed the time I need to pump, as my job makes it hard to take regular pump breaks of adequate duration.

At first I found that I was always looking down to check my progress, but now I don't worry about it and it doesn't distract me anymore. I just turn on the radio and sing out loud! Occasionally I will peek and do some one-handed massage to make sure I'm fully empty - IMO no different than eating or talking on a cell phone while driving, which most people do all the time anyway. So...PWD is probably not the safest thing in the world, but it does allow me to make the most efficient use of my time and hopefully will allow me to continue to provide BM for my LO for as long as possible! Hope I've helped, and good luck!

I pump and drive almost daily. I have a PIS and make sure I am wearing a fitted undershirt or tank that will hold the things in place and just drive away. I found that the suction and speed are higher in my car then at home so I almost always tend to get more milk while in the car. We are always on the go from here to there so that is the way I "make time to pump" (something I despise doing)

Stuartjr, if you every see a girl in a blue honda element and you wonder to yourself what in the world is that crazy lady doing in there... That would be me!!
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*merisue View Post

Stuartjr, if you every see a girl in a blue honda element and you wonder to yourself what in the world is that crazy lady doing in there... That would be me!!
    I will be sure to stay out of your way!! But if you are on Broadway Ext. you'll fit right in with the other crazy drivers!!!

After reading that all you other mama's pump while driving, it makes me kind of want to add in a pumping session since I have such a long commute!
    I can just imagine gettin pulled over though. That'd be really nice.

I do this often as well!

Sometimes when DS doesn't nurse before I leave for work - I pump on the way...I have a couple of long pashmina scarves and they hide everything...
    I don't really check how much I've pumped anymore...The more I look, the less I produce, so I don't bother...And yeah, getting pulled over would be a hoot!
    There's no law against it, though, right?? Give 'em long enough and there will be...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stuartjr View Post
    I can just imagine gettin pulled over though. That'd be really nice.
    Been there, off of the turnpike on my way to tulsa. Funny story (not really, my pike pass didn't pick up and he just happened to be sitting there), he was a little, well confused, about what was going on. I think he was too scared, or knew better, then to say anything except that I should try to avoid unnecessary distractions while driving.

He, of course, is not a nursing mama who has to pump. That is by no means an "unnecessary" distraction!
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*merisue View Post
    Been there, off of the turnpike on my way to tulsa. Funny story (not really, my pike pass didn't pick up and he just happened to be sitting there), he was a little, well confused, about what was going on. I think he was too scared, or knew better, then to say anything except that I should try to avoid unnecessary distractions while driving.

He, of course, is not a nursing mama who has to pump. That is by no means an "unnecessary" distraction!
    I've often wondered what would happen if I got pulled over. I always pump in the car on the way to / from work ( my Freestyle!). I find that I get my best output at the end of the day on my way to pick DS up, possibly because I am relaxed because work is over. When I switched from the PIS to the Freestyle and began car pumping, it turned the tide with my supply battle. They'd better never try to outlaw it - it is not a distraction, it is a necessity!! (And it's more handsfree than than the people eating in the car in the next lane.)

The first few times I PIC (Pumped In Car) I kept checking (at stoplights, but still...). After that I got used to just letting the pump run under either a shawl or a loose shirt. I found it was actually easier to pump in general (not only in the car) if I wear shirts which are loose enough to go back down over the handsfree pump parts (the Freestyle horns aren't as wide as the PIS ones). I set up, pull down my shirt, and relax better because I'm not watching the drip-drip-drip so closely.

I have a fleece throw in the car which I put over myself if someone's watching in the parking lot / on the street when I'm "hooking myself up" (I can unhook under the shirt, but I need to look to hook up correctly). I also put it over myself on days when I have to wear a more fitted shirt.

- if you can make it not distracting to yourself, PIC can be a real sanity-saver!
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; April 13th, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png