Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore, Cracked Nipples!

Default Sore, Cracked Nipples!

I've been breastfeeding my DD since May and pumping since June. I went back to work a few weeks ago and ever since I started pumping more, my nipples began to get sore. I never thought to switch breastshield sizes, because I'd been using smalls since I started pumping and had been fine. Well...one of my nipples cracked and is oozing and the other is pretty sore. I've started using large (27mm) breastshields and they are the only ones that don't make me want to scream. I have no idea if they are too big. I've looked at pictures online and my nipples are quite different and hard to compare. They don't hurt me though. Well, now when I breastfeed, it hurts so badly, I want to cry. I've been using the Lansinoh Lanolin....any other suggestions? I'm pretty desperate! Thank you!

Default Re: Sore, Cracked Nipples!

When you are pumping, do your nipples a) rub against the side of the collection tube, b) move in and out freely without loss of suction, or c) shoot in and out with loss of suction?

If you answered (a), then the shields may be too small and switching to a larger size will probably help. If (b), everything is probably okay, though lubing your nipples with some olive oil may help them slide in and out of the tube without chaffing if the shields are marginally too small or even if they are the right size. If (c), the shields may be too large.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! Sounds like B, so I must be using the right size.

I just looked at one of my nipples and the crack opened and is oozing. I'm kind of freaking out...what can I do? Do I have to stop breastfeeding??

No, you don't need to stop breastfeeding. Cracked nipples will not hurt your baby, even if they seem really icky.

When you say your nipples are "oozing", what do you mean exactly? Are they oozing blood, milk, pus, or some other substance? (You can't give TMI around here! )

I would see a lactation consultant and your doctor- there's a possibility that you've picked up an infection in the cracks, and you may need a prescription to clear it up. My LC suggested that I use a pea-sized amount of a 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment mixture on my cracks to reduce inflammation and infection- but before you do that I'd totally see someone and make sure it's the right treatment. (For example, if you have thrush, antibiotics are the last thing you want to use. Or you could have a bacterial infection that won't respond to the Bacitracin, in which case that treatment would waste your time.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

When I'm finished pumping, it's the most noticeable...like a clear, yellowish fluid. Not a ton, but enough to freak me out. Looks like the top layer of skin came off one section of my nipple and that is where it's coming from. Maybe some type of blister?

Blisters and cracks go together like bread and butter (mean bread and evil butter), so I wouldn't be surprised if you have a blister or some blisters in addition to the crack. Definitely see a LC and a doc, though- it could also be an infection!

Okay, thank you. Waiting for a call back from my OBGYN. Hoping it is nothing serious!

LOL...just got off the phone with a nurse. She said if I have no fever symptoms and my actual breast doesn't hurt (just the nipple) she doesn't think I need to come in to be seen. She is, however, calling in a prescription for "Triple Nipple Cream"! Sounds funny. Anyone ever use it?