Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My milk doesn't seem to store well

Default My milk doesn't seem to store well

Am I right in thinking that some people just don't make milk that stores well? If I pump and use same day it seems ok, but any more than 24 hours (and especially if I freeze it) it smells soapy and tastes awful, almost like vomit . My fridge and freezer are fine - I even bought a thermometer to check.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: My milk doesn't seem to store well

Sounds maybe like excess lipase.

See this thread for info and instructions / advice for how to scald breastmilk to stop the lipase.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Sounds like lipase - which can easily be dealt with

ETA - oops she beat me - different threads though I think
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Same thread - its the "sticky" in the milk storage part of the forum.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you so much - I've been reading until I'm almost cross-eyed and I really should go to bed. Lots of useful info from the experiments. I'll read more tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone know - what does the excess lipase do to my baby? I mean when he feeds straight from the breast? Is that a problem? He seems to spit up a lot.
    Emma

I would imagine it doesn't do anything to your baby if you are nursing at the breast. Look here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

We wouldn't have a lipase problem if we were not removing our milk from our breasts specifically for storage. The lipase is only a problem because it is activated early, so to speak, and breaks down the fat in the milk while it's in storage.

I've recently learned I have a lipase problem too with this nursling. Never had one before and it cropped up about a month ago. It seems like a really big deal at first, but once you get what you need to take care of it and figure out how much water to put in the bottle warmer and how much milk to scald at once, it's not that hard. It'll work out
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! I don't have a bottle warmer and I'm concerned about contamination if I scald in a pan and then I'd have to use a funnel too, to get the milk back in the bottle / bag to store. Need to think about how I'd keep everything as clean as possible.
    Emma

Bottle warmer is about $20.

I found it very easy with a digital thermometer with an alarm. I too just found the idea of scalding in a pan overwhelming and was concerned about keeping things clean. It's darn easy with the bottle warmer. I add the water, put the bottle in (which I pumped into anyway), start it, put the thermometer probe in and leave it until the alarm goes off. I let it cool and then divvy it out into bags to store, or I dump it into another bottle and stick that in the fridge
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Bottle warmer is about $20.

I found it very easy with a digital thermometer with an alarm. I too just found the idea of scalding in a pan overwhelming and was concerned about keeping things clean. It's darn easy with the bottle warmer. I add the water, put the bottle in (which I pumped into anyway), start it, put the thermometer probe in and leave it until the alarm goes off. I let it cool and then divvy it out into bags to store, or I dump it into another bottle and stick that in the fridge
    Thanks, good to know.
    Emma