Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How To Introduce Whole Milk?

Default How To Introduce Whole Milk?

LO will be going to daycare full time on October 6th. She'll be 1 year, 4 days old. She's been exclusively BF, is doing well with solids, drinks water from a sippy and is doing great! She nurses about 6 times a day right now.

I want to start her on whole milk for daycare. My doctor said not to start her until she's a year, but I don't think a couple of weeks before her first birthday is going to hurt. I just don't feel the need to start formula at this stage.

So how did you start whole milk at one year? How much? Do you warm it? I want to set both LO and the DCP up for success, so I'd like her to be comfortable with it before she goes.

I'm not weaning. I intend to nurse her in the morning before I leave for work, when I come home and in the evening. But she'll need something while at DC and to go down for naps.

Any advice ladies?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: How To Introduce Whole Milk?

I couldn't nurse my DD anymore bec I was preg with my DD...I finally couldn't take the pain and my supply was dipping drastically dipping...It was 2 or 3 weeks before her 1st birthday. I asked the dr and he said it didnt make any sense to change to something new (formula) to change AGAIN (whole milk) a couple weeks later..SO I gave her whole milk..i never had to mix, just one day I stopped BM and just gave whole milk right from the fridge..and we never looked back...no probs...

I think I started to warming the bm bottle less and less a couple of days/weeks before to get her used to drinking cold milk (but I am not sure..i forget)
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I also started giving small amounts (1-2oz) at a time of cold whole milk around 11months....maybe 11.5mos. I just put it in her sippy and never warmed it. She did fine...taking a few sips here and there...but she still doesn't drink a whole lot of it. We still nurse in the am, right after we get home, once more before bed and the occassional night feed (pretty rare)

I would think you'd be fine a few weeks before 1.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thank you ladies.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and