Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Question

Default Pumping Question

DD is four months old and I went back to work this week. I have been pumping twice a day. My question is can you pump both times into the same bottles? I have been using clean bottles or freezer bags each time but have to mix the milk later for DD's bottles the next day.

Default Re: Pumping Question

I believe when you are mixing milk, you want to be certain they are at the same temperature. I THINK it has something to do with the antibacterial properties of our milk. I am only 7 months into this, so there is still much for me to learn as well. Just to be safe, I never mix my milk until they have both been regrigerated long enough to have reached the same temp. For me, I just mix it together the next morning before he is left in the sitter's care.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Default Re: Pumping Question

It isn't a good idea to mix milk of different temperatures. What I did (after each pumping) was to combine both bottles into one, which could then be used for a feeding the next day. It also meant that I had to bring fewer bottles, because I would pump into the emptied one at my next pumping session. But you could always combine them at home later, too.

about going back to work - the first weeks were really hard for me, but it did get easier.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png