Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping on an airplane

Default Pumping on an airplane

Hi llladies,

I'll be going on a 1 night, 1 day trip this weekend and I think I might to have to pump on the plane. The plane ride is only 4 hours, but including check in time, plus retreiving our luggage, getting to the hotel, etc. it would be too long to go without, I think (or I could pump in the airport bathroom, which seems disgusting to me...). I won't be saving the milk--I have lipase issues, so I'm just going to dump it.

So here's my dilemma: Do I bring my double electric pump, and pump in the airplane bathroom ? Anybody know if you're allowed to take an electric pump on a plane? It's a domestic flight, and I checked the West Jet website and of course it didn't say anything there. I also have a manual pump, but it's not great and is quite hard to use (it hurts my hand and the suction doesn't seem great). So I could bring that as well...

Any suggestions?
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Pumping on an airplane

i pumped with my electric medela PIS on a plane..i used the battery pack..sat in the window seat with my coat/sweater and blanket covering me and pumped away..i thought everyone was going to know what I was doing...but with the constant hum that happens in the plane...no one even knew what I was doing..i think a airplane attendant did a double take once, but I dont think she could even tell!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Yeah, that's true--planes do make a lot of noise. I was wondering about just pumping in my seat, and using my nursing cover (poncho style), but my pump is quite loud. Well, I'm going to bring it onto the plane anyways so I guess I'll just make that call when the time comes.
    Thanks!

You could also check the airports you will be in. Most have a nurses station and Im sure you could pump there before/after your flight.
    Jess, mother to Everett & Macey (Born 02/08) who are no longer & Kennedy (12/4/09) who I exclusively for due to a soft cleft palate.
    We and cloth diaper!

i've had to travel on quite a few transatlantic flights while i was pumping. it is no fun. i've used my electric pump in the bathroom and my manual pump at my seat. i found it was easier to use the bathroom because i could just have my breasts out to see what i was doing. it's not the nicest facility to use, but i've pumped in worse places. i would maybe advise a flight attendant before you go in that you'll be in there for a while. i had people banging on the door once and that was pretty annoying. i feel your pain. i have a 10 hour flight coming up next month so i'll have to pump in the airport and twice on the plane. ugh.

My sister is a flight attendant, and she says if the flight isn't full, you could explain the situation to an attendant and they might be able to move you to a more empty area so you can have a little privacy while you pump. They are generally pretty good about helping you find a way as long as you're courteous and explain things to them. If you check ahead of time and the flight is full and that's not a possibility, as someone said you could check into whether there are nursing stations or family restrooms in the airport.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Thanks so much for your replies! I'll definitely check out my options in the airport, and see if there's something a little nicer than a bathroom to use. Otherwise I'll explain to the FA what's going on, and see what's going to work best.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamommy3 View Post
    My sister is a flight attendant, and she says if the flight isn't full, you could explain the situation to an attendant and they might be able to move you to a more empty area so you can have a little privacy while you pump. They are generally pretty good about helping you find a way as long as you're courteous and explain things to them. If you check ahead of time and the flight is full and that's not a possibility, as someone said you could check into whether there are nursing stations or family restrooms in the airport.
    Good info to know.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09