Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not every day

Default Not every day

So I left for Logan 3 days and the second he saw me the first morning back it was 'NURSE MOMMY'. LOL! Like I could say no......

So we're down to nap nursing and bedtime nursing but it's very quick, just a minute or so. And now it's not every day. He is telling me a lot, 'no nurse read books'. So okay we read and then he naps or goes to sleep at night.

Any BTDT advice when you're down to nursing but not even every day? Think he might stick with this until the baby is born and then pick it up again once the milk is back?

I am TOTALLY up to tandem btw.

Talk to me fellow weanies.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: Not every day

I LOVE the idea of it being so gradual that the LO can go a day or two in between and still have the freedom to pick back up. How were your boobs?
    I hope we go there.....It's been so hard because at night we stop because I run out of milk and I say "No More" and he cries and say "But I am NOT DONE"
    He does step out of the morning session more and more often. Especially since we have to leave the house so early for preschool. I can't believe we are FINALLY down to twice a day!!
    And did you change your mind about tandem nursing? I thought you were actively TRYING to wean Logan before the new baby? Did that change?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I LOVE the idea of it being so gradual that the LO can go a day or two in between and still have the freedom to pick back up. How were your boobs?
    I hope we go there.....It's been so hard because at night we stop because I run out of milk and I say "No More" and he cries and say "But I am NOT DONE"
    He does step out of the morning session more and more often. Especially since we have to leave the house so early for preschool. I can't believe we are FINALLY down to twice a day!!
    And did you change your mind about tandem nursing? I thought you were actively TRYING to wean Logan before the new baby? Did that change?
    My milk dried up totally over 2 months ago, so my boobs don't care if I nurse or not. They dried up with no problems actually.

It IS hard when they want to nurse and the milk is gone. Logan's interest seemed to wane once we got at that point.

I didn't change my mind about tandeming, but I just wasn't sure. But the more I get closer to the end of the pregnancy, I think I would like the experience of also nursing Logan again when the milk returns. Plus since he's down to not even nursing every day I don't think it will be like he will want to do it all the time.

What kills me is I think we will make it nursing on dry boobs the whole rest of the time and then he weans like a week before the baby comes... lol.

Is DJ 4 now? I can't remember if he turned 4 or is just really close to it. Nursing a 4 year old and getting them to wean, I bet that is very emotional for everyone. They KNOW what is going on, and if they are attached giving it up will be a challenge. It's not as if you can give them a treat and they will forget.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

He will 4 in Dec. And that is my loose goal...I'd like to be done by his B-day or the eND of the year, or when we go to HAWAII...Or sometime around then.

Way too lazy for formula

I think it depends on whether you want him to continue nursing and maybe tandem.

After almost 2 years on a restrictive diet for DS food allergies I was ready to wean. When we got to the point where DS had gone about a week since the last time he'd asked to nurse I gently reminded him that "mommy milk was all gone" and redirected into a different fun activity. At that point DS wasn't at all upset.

Right now DS is really interested in various aspects of baby having "mommy milk" and would probably be interested in jumping back on the breast. I don't want to tandem (mostly because of the restrictions it places on my diet) so have been gently explaining to DS that he had lots and lots of mommy milk for a long long time and that "his" mommy milk is all gone. And that when baby comes there will be mommy milk just for baby. So far DS seems okay with that explanation and is looking forward to being able to sometimes help give baby mommy milk in a bottle.

If it wasn't for the food allergy stuff I'd probably let DS do whatever he wanted. Not offer nursing but also not refuse and just see what ends up happening.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Gosh, I wish I were in your shoes, Lisa! I tried to limit one nighttime session 2 nights ago and refuse one last night and Laith screamed at the top of his lungs. (Plus, he woke up.) I'd give $1,000,000 to have a kid who could take it or leave it.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky