Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poop

Question Green poop

What might cause green poop? my son is 7 1/2 weeks old and has only had breastmilk, either from the breast or a bottle. He has been having it for about the last 2 days. He was very fussy for about 3 hours this afternoon, i'm not sure if that makes a difference. He did have a yellow poop diaper in between the green ones. I just have no idea if there is something wrong or if this is ok.

Default Re: Green poop

My baby's pediatrician explained that this was caused because the poop was kept in longer in the digestive system. My baby has green poop all the time. My baby is on formula only at this time.
    I hope this helps a bit.
    ~* Andrea *~
    Last edited by Andrea_Greeneyes; September 13th, 2006 at 10:53 PM.

My daughter had green poop off and on starting around 3 weeks until she was about 7 weeks. my lactation consultant said it was because i was producing too much foremilk so she had me pump a couple ounces out and then feed her after i pumped. I did that for awhile but her poops were still green aside from a yellow every now and then. She continued to thrive and gain pretty quickly so i just stopped the pumping and let it run its course. Around 8 weeks her poops went back to yellow and have been yellow ever since. I discussed the greens with her pedi and he said as long as she is gaining well, not to worry about it. Could be she is getting alot of foremilk but since she was gaining well, obviously she was getting alot of hindmilk too.

Sometimes too much foremilk will make them a little gassy so maybe that is the cause of the fusiness.

My son often had green poop when he was younger. Its not really anything to be concerned with. I think many things can cause it. I've heard that when he digests food very quickly (which happens with lots of foremilk) this can happen. Poop color can also change depending on what you eat. As long as the poop isn't hard or happening multiple times in an hour (i.e. diarrea) I wouldn't be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by freeresponse
    My son often had green poop when he was younger. Its not really anything to be concerned with. I think many things can cause it. I've heard that when he digests food very quickly (which happens with lots of foremilk) this can happen. Poop color can also change depending on what you eat. As long as the poop isn't hard or happening multiple times in an hour (i.e. diarrea) I wouldn't be concerned.
    quite true -

Many things can cause green poo's and most of them are nothing to be concerned about but the color can be quite alarming!! My LO had what I called turbo-green poos for almost 3 days straight... we started block feeding and it solved the problem right away as there was an oversupply issue happening - I became a poop inspector and it makes my older two giggle when I inspect it like I do ...

I will add a few links with some info about oversupply and other stuff - and do take a look at them when you can to see if this may be an issue for you (especially since you're pumping...)

Foremilk/hindmilk info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html

Oversupply:
    http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html

Fussiness
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

also if there's a way you can get to an LLL meeting or contact a local LC that may help as well. And unless your pedi is truly up to date and informed re: breastfeeding they may not have all the answeres. Sometimes they have canned answers ...
    maybe someone else can swing by this thread and give more info to ya! good luck!!!!!!

HTH -
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.