Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping daytime sessions

Default Dropping daytime sessions

Is it wise to drop daytime sessions before nightweaning? I'm asking because my supply has dropped dramatically in the past few weeks and the daytime sessions don't seem that important to her anymore. We are only nursing at naptime, bedtime and then 1-3 times during the night. I am thinking about dropping the naptime nursing because I only do it because she has been waking up mid nap. TIA!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Default Re: Dropping daytime sessions

Bumping on the off chance anyone will respond...anyone? Anyone?

I am going to be forced to drop the last daytime session because I'm going back to work and she will not take expressed bm in any form. I don't see any way to cut back on the nights b/c she's getting both top molars and if I don't nurse she is up for hours at a time. The nights are killing me, last night I kid you not she woke me up 16 times.

She's 13.5 months.

Well, if you have to drop your last daytime session, I would think that the night nursing will become even more important than it already is for her. Especially if you're starting back to work, I imagine that she may reverse cycle for a bit to reconnect with you.

Are you looking to completely night wean, or just try to drop some of the night sessions? IMO, you may just be better off nursing her at night until the work transition has eased off a bit and those pesky molars come through. Do you cosleep? If not, now would probably be a good time to give it a go so at least you're not getting out of bed sixteen times
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

We do co-sleep for most of the night. I nurse/rock her to sleep and then put her in her crib, in an ideal world she would wake around 3 to nurse and then we could cuddle the rest of the night. In reality she wakes up anywhere between 11-1 and then hits, kicks, headbutts and nurses the rest of the night. I think you are right in that its a connection with me...I have to just keep muddling through and hopefully after the molars come in I can cut back a bit. I don't mind night nursing but nights like last night are rough, as are the ones where she's up for 3 hours in the middle of the night. Thanks for the response and the hugs, I needed them today!

Those hugs are from a mama who has BTDT with night waking.. My DD was up every half hour last night. It was hellish.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I think you deserve a great big !! When DD is keeping me up all night tonight I'll be hoping that you are getting some sleep. I've given up on my sleep at this point.