Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More solids for DD

Unhappy More solids for DD

Hey Girls!
    I'm pregnant with my second child and, as I've figured out, my supply is running low. This worries me because my DD bf'd a LOT. Usually, since she was around seven months, her breakfast would consist mostly of bm, and around mid-morning I would give her fruits and grains. She would continue snacking, drinking juice and bf'ing throughout the day, until one solid sit-down where I would feed her veggies and meat (mostly chicken). Her pediatrician said to feed her meat, for protein, twice a day no substitutes, but LO refused to eat more than once so I tried not to force-feed her. She is a year and two weeks old now, and as my pregnancy entered it's second trimester (I'm sixteen weeks) I noticed she started to wean from many of the sessions, and I figured she was weaning herself, until I learned that my supply is not entirely up to her needs. I'm very worried for her health, even though she seems to be fine. She does ask for liquids throughout the day, and whenever we eat, she usually eats a very tiny portion, but she's still dependant to bm and I fear she is not getting the nutrition she needs. Any thoughts?
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Default Re: More solids for DD

I have been introducing cow's milk as a supplement since she was about 9 mo, but she's VERY picky and I have to mix it with fruits or cereal so I can disguise the taste. Needless to say, it turns into a thick concotion I have to add that she will have the supplement, but only a few ounces before she is tugging at my shirt for bm.

But am hanging on!!!

Hi,

Are you warming the cows milk slightly. Some babies won't drink it cold straight away.

You could also try whole goats milk.

Bananna and avacado are good energy foods to snack on, and offering fruit, veg, etc often. My eldest daughter (now a healthy ten year old), only had tiny portions of solid food too, (but loved bananna, cucumber, avacado and porridge) then around fourteen months she suddenly couldn't get enough food. But she was always full of energy. She now eats us out of house and home!

Does she have heaps of energy and seem ok generally?

"My child won't eat" could be a good book for you to look at.

Mammy to DD1(10yrs), DS1 (8yrs), DD2(4yrs) and DD3(9mths)

I just wanted to point out what a wonderful thing it is that she is past a year old and you are concerned that she may not be getting enough breastmilk. Many people assume that breastmilk has no value past a year or even past 6 months!
    Anyway, you said that she was starting to self wean from some breastfeeding sessions and seemed to still be asking for fluids. So, she is self regulating her fluid intake. As far as calories, I'm pretty sure that at this age a serving size of a particular food is only 1-2 Tablespoons (the What to Expect books are WAY off on how much food a baby/toddler needs). Plus, you could offer nutrient dense foods like cheese and avacado to cram a lot into a small amount.
    And, for immunities, if she is nursing at all, she is still getting good stuff, even if she is getting only a few drops of milk in a nursing session.
    You sound very attentive and attached...I think you will know if she is not thriving well by her activity level or weight loss, or just by how she looks!
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

Thank you! You've given me very helpful tips, and I will definetly check on them. For now, she's feisty, so her energy levels are great! I have given her small slices of avocado and she liked it, so it will be something I'll add to her daily feeding rutine. Especially since she really doesn't like cheese

But am hanging on!!!