Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning Pumping!

Default Weaning Pumping!

My son Big D is 10 months old and has been EBF since birth. Unfortunately I have to stop nursing for health reasons and I am wondering how am I going to do it. I am planning to give him BM until he is 1 and then try cow's milk, which I am praying he takes with no problem.

As of last month, he went on a "nipple strike" and he has not been nursing at all. I am pumping 4x a day to keep up my supply and I give it to him in a sippy cup. I've been planning the pumping amount for the month of October, which is when he will turn 1. By the 15th of september I've completed the 744 oz of milk I would need for him. I've been pumping and pumping for his feedings and for the storage.

I am just concerned as to how to wean off the pump. I am not sure how to go about it. I had thoughts on how to do it, but I still need to have enough milk to end september. I have about two weeks to wean completely. How do I start and continue about it. Also, my nipples are very sensitive and they hurt, I take it is fromt he machine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanx!

Mother to Big D who was born on Oct 27, 2008.
    Weight 6lb 1oz Lenght 19.5 in.
    He is the joy of my life and the reason for my existence. My life prior to Big D was meaningless. I feel blessed to have been able to provide him with the Gift of breastmilk all this time.

Default Re: Weaning Pumping!

Your best option is to slowly cut back your pumping time everyday. Instead of pumping for the full 20 mins or however long you pump each session, subtract 5 mins. Soon you should be able to drop a session out. Doing it gradually is the best but if you are really done now, only pump enough to relieve engorgment and make you comfortable. Doing it this way will increase the chance of clogged ducts and mastitis. So be careful.

There is a weaning section on this board as well is you want to check it out. There are some threads about pump weaning.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!