Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating paper?

Post eating paper?

I know it is not uncommon for babies to eat all kinds of things they can get their hands on, but it just seems unusual that my 7 mo LO goes after the paper! he loves chewing on it! But when it comes to chewing on food he just gets nasty looks on his face and spits it out. Does anyone else have babies that love to chew paper? And could it mean he has low iron?

How can I get him interested in chewing on real foods? I've tried banana-still hates it, watermelon-seems to tolerate it for a little while, and apple which doesn't seem to interest him at all. Oh and cantaloupe he really doesn't like. I am so close to trying purees just to help him out... does anyone else have this impatient desire?
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Default Re: eating paper?

To deal with my own impatient desire I simply offered foods more frequently. In this way she got more practice chewing/swallowing and I think it helped her eat more sooner. If you offer avocado it is more likely to be swallowed because it turns to mush right away. At least that's what I found. B started swallowing more at 8-9 months.

Oh & she loves to eat paper too. I don't get it. It is her favorite thing.
    Nursed for 18 months

I don't think that chewing paper is too unusual- my kid probably gnawed on most of her board books and ate chunks out of a paperback copy of In the Night Kitchen. And she didn't have low iron or anything. (The test for anemia is simple, BTW: just a simple heel prick.)

Maybe offer your child some bread? A piece of bread is sort of like a thick piece of paper in terms of how you hold it when you chew on it and investigate it...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had a paper eater too I couldn't give her books until close to one or she would eat them up (yes the hard board books) Now I can't give her paper books or she will rip them. Can't win.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Dude dd is a paper fiend! She is so quick at grabbing it and chomping on it. She puts fistfuls ofmagazine pages in her face and SCREAMS when I take them away. Today at the grocery store I look down and she's leaning forward with her tongue out trying to suck on the shopping list ! Glad to know we aren't alone
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ap9981 View Post
    Dude dd is a paper fiend! She is so quick at grabbing it and chomping on it. She puts fistfuls ofmagazine pages in her face and SCREAMS when I take them away. Today at the grocery store I look down and she's leaning forward with her tongue out trying to suck on the shopping list ! Glad to know we aren't alone
    This is so funny! DS does the same thing! if I'm sitting at my computer with him he always tries grabbing at papers and chewing on them, in fact sometimes I give him a magazine if I want to keep him happy for a minute. LOL, well.. I guess I shouldn't worry about it, and stop stressing about the food thing.

What is it about paper?? Lately, magazines and newspapers are DD's most favorite toys--cell phones and remote controls are so last-month

Maybe it tastes good. Now I feel like trying some to see what the appeal is....

As for feeling impatient about your babe not eating yet, I don't think giving purees will make him accept solid foods any quicker. I read somewhere that a lot of puree-fed babies actually have a hard time transitioning to chunky stuff. My DD didn't like any of the typical first foods: banana, avocado, etc. She really likes tart/sour things (I think most babies do), so she *loves* mango, plain yogurt, berries, and veggies mixed with a bit of lemon juice. She also adored meat from the first time she tried it.

Thanks for this! And yea...actually the monthof september seems to be remotes for us! So maybe the paper thing has calmed down a bit, which I was glad about!

Oh I am so gonna tell my MIL that that might be the case about purees, ppl are always trying to persuade mashing things and making them 'runnier' so that DS will be able to eat. Well... i did try to mash up the banana and spoon feeding and it was no different! I am going to try different stuff and see what kinds of reactions I get from him. I have just been too lazy about the food... breastfeeding is so easy!

Smile Re: eating paper?

I was the same way, and annabella stiiiiill loves paper at 11 months. She always has...although she used to actually eat it..now for the last few months, she'll open her mouth after chewing it like gum and let's us take it out, she's a good girl. I used to just BF her because it was easier than sittign down and giving her solids..but then I started to worry about when 12 months comes along..and will she ever eat them. Then Djsmom talked some serious sense into me! And I realized I needed to try alot harder..everyone was telling me it was no big deal, she'll get it, but she wasn't going to get up and get the food on her own when the time came, she still needed to be familiarized with it, and needed to have lots of different options in front of her every day. Jenn just recently posted to me under the "Sample Menu" thread some GREAT ideas which I have been sticking regularly too...it was a great help! It was put to me that feeding your baby solids can be hard work too, but it wioll get easier once they and you get the hang of it! It's getting easier here, MUCH!But at around 7 months, it may have been..I think because of her teething or SOMETHING, she just went through a small phase of "I don't want a THING you have to offer me.." and everytime I would come close to her lips with a spoon, she would smoosh her lips together and push them out but that passed,I just kept trying.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Mine loved paper too.

They get over it though, keep offering the solids but don't force if not interested. Some just aren't really ready at that age. Keep it fun and playful!

Have you tried any meats? We did turkey breast as one of the first foods, gave him a long piece and he held it and chewed the end. Was a big hit, mine hated all veg and fruits until the age of 2.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09