Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting enough milk?

Default Getting enough milk?

I have been wondering this for a while, and I have searched the previous threads and I am having a hard time finding something directly related to this, so I am sorry in advanced if this has already been addressed.

I work part time (2 full days per week) and I pump about 8 ounces during an 8 hour shift. When Noah stays with my mom while I am at work, she gives him 4 ounces every 3-4 hours, so he is getting between 16 and 20 ounces when I am at work. I have had some issues with low supply, so I have had to supplement ds when I am home with him. I bf Noah whenever I am home with him and lately I have only had to give him one 4 ounce bottle when I am home with him between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.. Does this mean that he is only getting 8 ounces from me when I am home with him during the day?? I am just concerned that he isn't getting enough. Noah just turned 5 months old and is 18 pounds, and he hasn't gained any weight within the past month. He doesn't act as if he wants more milk, but does he need more milk?

Thank you in advanced for your help with this. I am so thankful that I found this forum during this time in my life. Caring for Noah has been the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, and nursing him has made me feel so wonderful. I am thankful for the support of all of you....it makes me feel like a better mom when I read these posts because I feel like I am learning something new every day that I know I wouldn't learn anywhere else. I just wanted to add this in addition to my question .

Thanks again.
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Default Re: Getting enough milk?

When your baby is nursing, he's probably getting miore from you than you get from the pump, since he can control how much he's getting. As long as you are nursing whenever he shows a need or desire for it.

It is kind of alarming that he hasn't gained any weight within the last month - is this from your scale at home, or scales at the dr's office? Babies often slow down on the weight gain as they near the middle of the first year, but they shouldn't stop gaining completely.

Keep nursing on demand, and nurse in the middle of the night, whenever baby wants.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Default Re: Getting enough milk?

Thank you for your input. I have been using a scale at home, which probably isn't an accurate way to weigh him. I actually called my pediatricians office today and I am going to take him in to get weighed.

I am having another issue with ds today.....he has decided not to nurse . We went through a nursing strike about 2 months ago that lasted about one week. He has been nursing well since then, but then this morning he has cried everytime that I have tried to feed him. The last nursing strike was so emotional for me and the thought of him not nursing again just makes me cry. Needless to say, we spent the morning crying together. He pushes me away and screams every time that I try to feed him.

I don't know if this is the cause of him not nursing, but he broke his first tooth yesterday. Could this be the cause of him not nursing?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!