Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

Default Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

After three wonderful (okay, I'm choosing to forget the necessity of an SNS due to an emergency C-section, bouts of thrush, mastitis, sore nipples and a pre-existing treated thyroid condition) months with my baby solely breastfeeding, she is now starting daycare and I’m going back to work as a teacher. LO wouldn’t take a bottle for the first week of transition care, we thought it was because she is not used to them, but I smelled the used bottles. GROSS!!! I have a lipase issue. So, my beginnings of a freezer stash—50 oz.—GONE!

Now, I’ve got a Munchkin warmer and have been scalding per instructions from other LLL members. Apparently I have a pretty bad lipase issue, I did some experiments and after about three hours my milk starts to turn IN THE FRIDGE!!!

School starts tomorrow. I only really have one time a day to pump, mid-day. My LO is in the midst of her 3 month old growth spurt. And on top of this whole thing… the lipase stuff. She eats at least 3 oz. at daycare per feeding, and at least 3 feedings per 8 hour stint at daycare. I am only pumping about 2 oz. per session, so must pump in the morning before I feed her (on one side), the afternoon when I pick her up, and in the evenings as well.

Am I going to be able to do this? Will I actually be able to pump enough? I am so frustrated with my body not doing what I want it to in this regard! My original plan was to make it through the first year, extra pump through the summer (for storage) and wean next August/September when she’s 15 months old. I don’t know if we’re really going to be able to do this.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

Can you scald the milk right after you pump it? It seems like you should be able to right away if you can use the warmer.

Maybe you could pump in the car on your way to and from work to get more pumping times?

I'm sorry you're having a hard time.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

I can scald right when I get home. The milk last long enough for that.
    The pumping on the way to work... I only have a 15 minute commute.

I know. It's just frustrating.
    On top of it all... Right now they put someone in my classroom during my plan. UGH!