Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to pump?

Default When to pump?

I'm a teacher and I have been pumping at calendar time while my para does the calandar at 10:00am and at planning at 1:00pm. This is every three hours. (I breastfeed at 7:00am and at 4:00pm) This has become overwhelming. When I pump the 1st time I get anywhere from 6 to 10 ounces and the second time I get anywhere from 4 to 6 ounces. I only need two 4 ounce bottles. Can I just pump once a day??? Oh yeah this is going on the 4th week of work.
    1st Time Mommy to Baby Boy born 4-20-09
    since day one!
    Finally done !!!
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Default Re: When to pump?

I don't see why not? Is it overwhelming just because you have so much milk? Or because you don't want to pump twice? You could always donate the extra milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't see why not? Is it overwhelming just because you have so much milk? Or because you don't want to pump twice? You could always donate the extra milk.
    Just because I have to pump twice. My boss doesn't know that I am pumping and I think he would make me stop. I just am a little afraid of getting caught. I have checked out the laws in Ga. The laws state that a mother can pump as long as it doesnt interfer with work. My boss would probably say it interfers. I would die if I couldnt pump. I dont want to use formula.
    since day one!
    Finally done !!!
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

I'm sorry that the laws in GA say that. It sounds like you could easily get away with pumping once a day. How old is your baby? The only thing I would be worried about in your situation is that it would have a bad impact on my milk supply. But if you pumped at lunchtime (you're allowed a lunch break, right?) then you would be about halfway into your day. It sounds like you would be fine with just the first pumping though.

I pump more than my baby eats and go back and forth about what to do in regards to dropping pumping sessions, but in my state (NM), it is the law that I am able to pump. In your situation, I would have quit pumping extra a long time ago.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I can pump at lunch. I get 30 minutes. I can pump at planning, recess, and after school too, (locked in the tiny 1st grade bathroom in my classroom.) I am just afraid my milk suppy will go down if I only pump once. I have a huge freezer supply though. I just can't put him on formula. He has such a sensitive tummy, I have had to give up dairy and juice so he wouldnt have bloody diapers. I am fully comitted to BF, and I just don't want to jeopardize that. I also don't want to get in tropuble with the boss either, but my DS comes first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    since day one!
    Finally done !!!

I teach as well, although not in GA...my LO is 6 months and I pump just once a day at school, during my lunch time. I do also pump in the morning while I am getting ready...gotta love the hands free pumping bras! I can do make up and hair while I pump!
    When I first went back to school last year, she was only 3 mo at that time. I was pumping twice as much as she took in. It was great for my freezer stash but, horrible on the weekends because the oversupply was driving her nuts! I kept spraying all over her!
    I would agree with PP that if you can pump once and she is old enough that you have a good steady supply established, go to once a day. You can always increase it if you start to see a drop in your supply.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

The only warning I'd add is that my supply went down significantly around seven to eight months, just when I was getting really tired of pumping. I'd consider pumping twice a day now even if you bring more home than you need. You might be really glad down the road to have all that freezer stash, especially if you're committed to not using formula.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start