Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden drop in milk supply - to almost nil

Default Sudden drop in milk supply - to almost nil

My son is 8 weeks old and in the beginning I was doing a combination of pumping and breastfeeding. I began pumping because he was readmitted into the hospital for jaundice and I wanted to increase my supply and be able to have the nurses give him bottles so I could get some rest. After leaving the hospital, I dealt with extremely sore nipples (as all new moms do) and it would take him about an hour to nurse because every time he latched on he would suck for a few minutes and fall asleep! It was extremely hard to wake him to get him to feed so it took forever. Thus, I decided to increase my pumping because giving him a bottle was much quicker. I would say I was pumping about 75% of the time and nursing him 25% of the time. i even got up in the middle of the night to pump because he is such a great sleeper. Then I got Mastitis! Once the Mastitis cleared up I tried to nurse him more often and, to my pleasant surprise, he began nursing extremely well and I cut the pumping down to once a day (so hubby could give him one feeding). All of a sudden a day-and-a-half ago my milk supply seemed to go down to nothing! My breasts have always felt pretty full and then I woke up one morning and they were very saggy and it didn't seem like I was lactating at all. They basically seemed like they did when I stopped nursing my older daughter (she's 3). I am freaking out because I have no idea why my milk supply is suddenly diminished. I have not taken any new medications, BC pills, or anything and he has actually been nursing a lot this weekend. As soon as I noticed this decrease I made sure he was nursing or I was pumping at least every 2 hours and drinking as much water as possible with each feeding/pumping and in between. I have been doing this for about 36 hours and have not noticed a bit of difference. Prior to this sudden drop, I would be able to pump about 6-8 oz each time. Now I am lucky to get 2-3 oz!! The lactation consultants at the hospital tell me not to worry and relax and not worry about the way my breasts feel/look. However, I have never experienced this with my daughter or so far with my son and fear that for some reason my milk is drying up (although I am completely perplexed as to why this would be happening). She says that it's normal for the breasts to feel soft about 2 weeks after giving birth. However, with my daughter and so far with my son, my breasts have always felt firm when they fill with milk and then get softer after each feeding/pumping - but they have never felt so deflated like they feel now.

When I was nursing my daughter and I noticed a decrease in my milk supply, I would just pump more often and drink a lot of fluids and I would immediately notice a difference. But this time nothing is happening.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I am pregnant. Would that have an effect on my supply? The lactation consultant said it could because it could affect my hormones. Of course I have no idea if I am (it's too early to tell) and I know it seems like a long shot because my son is still so young that I am hoping I haven't ovulated yet. Yikes - another cause for stress.

If anyone has any experience with a sudden (overnight!!) drop with their milk supply and has any advice, I would love to hear it. I have been so happy being able to nurse him that I don't want to give it up. Due to numerous infections with my daughter, I had to resort to strictly pumping when she was 8 weeks old and I continued to pump and give her breastmilk exclusively until she was 13 months old (never had to supplement with formula). So knowing the nursing was going so well with my son I am really hoping to continue. I was never able to have that wonderful nursing/bonding experience with my daughter. I know formula is not the worst thing in the world, but being able to provide him with my milk and its wonderful nutrients means so much to me.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to get as much info in as possible. I have been reading other postings about drinking tea, eating oatmeal and taking other herbal supplements. I am holding off trying those things until absolutely necessary (I hate tea and oatmeal and am leaving the herbs as a last resort - which I may be at).

Please help!!

Default Re: Sudden drop in milk supply - to almost nil

Hi there,
    You sound very concerned about your supply!

Before you worry too much, could you please tell me if ds has continued have wet/poopy diapers during the past 36 hours? This is the one true way to tell if baby is getting enough. Softer breasts and decrease in amount pumped is not the best indicator. (Neither is crying, fussiness, length/frequency of feeds...).

When you were pumping were you pumping more than ds would take? Were you freezing milk? If so, you may have created an oversupply, and now that ds is nursing, he is creating the proper supply-just the right amount for him!

It sounds like your LC knows her stuff. It is extremely rare to see a drop in supply as quickly and severely as you did.

Many moms do experience a drop in supply when pregnant. I don't honestly know at what point the drop becomes obvious, though.

By the way, I think it is incredible that you EP'ed for your daughter for 13 months!!! That is great!

Yes, he continues to have a lot of wet and poopy diapers - definitely no change there. Yes, I was pumping extra/more than he needed. I already have a freezer full of frozen milk! Perhaps you are right that my breasts are now adjusting to just him nursing. I guess because I exclusively pumped with my daughter that I was always used to full breasts and pumping so much extra with her as well and so far have had the same with my son because I had been doing so much pumping. I guess I don't know what it's like to breastfeed exclusively - what my breasts should be like.

I am having a pregnancy test done tomorrow just to make sure that is not it.

It just truly makes me concerned because I pumped before bed Monday night and then nursed him during the night and by morning my breasts seemed so deflated. So it seemed that literally overnight something happened to my supply. Before bed and in the middle of the night I was able to pump about 4-4 1/2 oz a and they do seem to be feeling a little fuller (still not like they were but definitely better than a couple days ago). So your theory could definitely be it. Now that I have added all the pumpings in as well as him nursing my supply is increasing.

Well, it all sounds pretty good to me! If he has continued to have good output, then your supply is just fine. Sounds like you were pumping waaay more than he needed. (very common with EPing-you are not the only mom this has happened to!)

Take care!