Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garlic and such

Default Garlic and such

Can you give your LO garlic? My LO is 8 months now (no teeth). We cook our beans (pinto beans) with garlic, but I wasn't sure if I should avoid doing so if I want to give some to the baby to try. Also, (not good in the kitchen ) when you all offered chicken, how did you cook it? Did you bake it with a little water or boil it?

What are you all giving your babies to try? I already did the apples, bananas, broccoli, avacados, carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, nectarines, yellow cherries, and potatoes, but I'm getting bored with just fruits and veggies. Unless I shouldn't worry about it as it's merely experimental at this point? Does everyone stick to organic?

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

Default Re: Garlic and such

My lo won't eat much at a year old so I don't have much experience with feeding but I don't think you have to avoid garlic. I honestly don't always buy organic fruits and veggies but do try to buy locally grown produce.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Same here. Most of my purchases are organic even toiletry items, but there are time for convenience reasons, I buy non-organic fruits and veggies. They aren't always easy to find a variety of organic foods unless you go to Whole Foods so if my local super market doesn't carry certain things organic, I buy them non. I like the fact that some of our local stores carry organic, local grown produce, and main frame stuff. That way you don't have to take a trip to each specialty store!

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

I love garlic, and we did BLS, so DS has been eating garlic since he was about 7mo. He loves garlic, (probably knew the taste from my milk), and will eat almost anything if I put enough garlic in it. The only downside of lots of garlic is that a few hours later one gets a garlicy diaper (who knew that urine could smell like garlic?), but there are so many good things in garlic that I'm not complaining.

By the time DS was 8mo, I was giving him little bits of whatever we were eating (unless there were nonos like strawberries or honey involved). Fruits, veggies, grains, beans. Spiced normally (for us that means a lot of spice), except that I left out hot peppers.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post

By the time DS was 8mo, I was giving him little bits of whatever we were eating (unless there were nonos like strawberries or honey involved). Fruits, veggies, grains, beans. Spiced normally (for us that means a lot of spice), except that I left out hot peppers.
    On hot peppers: you don't have to leave them out! LO loves the taste of foods cooked in or with jalapeno, chiles, and hot red pepper. And she is only 10 months.

I would limit the amount of garlic due to the acidity (same with onions).
    Nursed for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    On hot peppers: you don't have to leave them out! LO loves the taste of foods cooked in or with jalapeno, chiles, and hot red pepper. And she is only 10 months.

I would limit the amount of garlic due to the acidity (same with onions).
    I wish - but if it burns, DS won't eat it. Yet!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Slow & steady wins the race
    Nursed for 18 months

we also give our DS whatever we are having (without salt,sugar or honey..) and we eat a lot of garlic soo...he never had a problem with it.
    why don't you try some beans,lentils,rice,oat...
    we give him really everything we are having and he loves everything.(he really likes everything.)
    i think a baby must get used to the diet of the family... we live in the mediterranean and we have a lot of fresh fruits and veggies,also we grow our own so they are mostly organic
    Vasilios was born 16th November 2008,
    Sergios was born 1st December 2010
    we and from day 1...

I gave my DS (8 months) baba ganouj this week. I almost regretted it after I did it, as he doesn't like veg right now. Actually -- he LOVED it, and ate a ton! H e surprises me all the tome, and I do want him to have a varied diet. I guess you can't start too soon!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Yep - there's no reason in the world to train their palates with bland food, and then get upset when they're a little older and won't try anything else.