Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

Default Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

After three wonderful (okay, I'm choosing to forget the necessity of an SNS due to an emergency C-section, bouts of thrush, mastitis, sore nipples and a pre-existing treated thyroid condition) months with my baby solely breastfeeding, she is now starting daycare and I’m going back to work as a teacher. LO wouldn’t take a bottle for the first week of transition care, we thought it was because she is not used to them, but I smelled the used bottles. GROSS!!! I have a lipase issue. So, my beginnings of a freezer stash—50 oz.—GONE!

Now, I’ve got a Munchkin warmer and have been scalding per instructions from other LLL members. Apparently I have a pretty bad lipase issue, I did some experiments and after about three hours my milk starts to turn IN THE FRIDGE!!!

School starts tomorrow. I only really have one time a day to pump, mid-day. My LO is in the midst of her 3 month old growth spurt. And on top of this whole thing… the lipase stuff. She eats at least 3 oz. at daycare per feeding, and at least 3 feedings per 8 hour stint at daycare. I am only pumping about 2 oz. per session, so must pump in the morning before I feed her (on one side), the afternoon when I pick her up, and in the evenings as well.

Am I going to be able to do this? Will I actually be able to pump enough? I am so frustrated with my body not doing what I want it to in this regard! My original plan was to make it through the first year, extra pump through the summer (for storage) and wean next August/September when she’s 15 months old. I don’t know if we’re really going to be able to do this.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Can I really do this?? Pumping, Lipase, Daycare, Working

*bump*

ETA: You CAN do it, mama - I'm bumping this thread so that one of the mamas with lipase issues can help out.
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; September 4th, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Sorry I dont have a lot of time to respond right now but you may want to check out http://workandpump.com/ they have lots of suggestions for working/pumping moms.

Is there anyway your childcare provider could bring your baby to you for a nursing session or two? Does your school have a kitchen you could scold your milk real quick?
    What type of pump are you using? How long are you able to pump for? Are you able to co-sleep? I too had a baby that hated the bottle (although no lipase issues) so he did most nursing at night and barely took anything from the sitter (its called reverse cycling!).....get creative mama- you can TOTALLY do this!
    Jess, mother to Everett & Macey (Born 02/08) who are no longer & Kennedy (12/4/09) who I exclusively for due to a soft cleft palate.
    We and cloth diaper!

UPDATE:

We're a little less than a week in. She's hit her 3 month growth spurt and nursing every two hours. Work is going well. I've got a Freestyle. I'm able to pump once in the middle of my workday (better than nothing!), getting about 6 ozs so far. This is about 1/2 of her daycare bottles, so I've also been trying to pump one side in the morning before she wakes up, and nurse her on the other, and do the same at night.

I think she is reverse cycling, or at least starting to... as last nights' sleep was awful for me and DH (up every 2 hours HUNGRY!!).

I think it is coming down to figuring out a routine. And for someone who hates routines, I'm doing pretty good at the moment. If I get everything set out at night, it's making a huge difference the morning. Unfortunately, the DC can't come to me, and I teach HS, so it's hard to leave work. DC is great, and the bottle (once we figured out the milk issue) hasn't been a problem. Thank goodness for Mam bottles!

Another teacher tried to use my classroom during my planning (i.e. kids in my room while I'm pumping!!!! EEK!), but I asked them to delay it. Too much to add to right away. I've got to see if I can figure out the new situation before adding anything to it.

I guess my milk is at least lasting long enough to get home, then scald. I'm in the clear on that angle. Although, I lost one bottle as I was SO exhausted I left in the the warmer on the first day of school.

And yes, co-sleeping is a blessing. We have a co-sleeper as DH is paranoid that he's going to roll over her, but she usually spends half the night in our bed anyway as I'm passed out during nursing sessions!!

It's not pretty so far, but she's already 14+ lbs. So I guess it's working.
    Thanks for the support!! I really needed it last week.

I'm so glad to hear that you are hanging in there, mama! Reverse cycling is tough; I'm glad that you're cosleeping - keep us updated, and let us know if there is anything that we can do!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png