Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 17-month old using my breast as a pacifier

Default My 17-month old using my breast as a pacifier

I need help with this one moms. I breastfeed my son 3 times a day: 7:00 am wake up, before bed, and at 4:30 am each night (he wakes up like clockwork and cries until I go get him.) The problem is sometimes he wont unlatch and just wants to keep my breast in his mouth until he falls asleep. He sleeps with me from 4:30 to wake up. I do that b/c when I unlatch him, he wakes up and cries. If we sleep together he usually falls asleep with my breast in his mouth. Occasionally I will wake up to him nursing at 6 am. At that time, he falls back asleep, long after he empties my breast, while still latched on. I don't like it because I want to roll over or let him go and when I do he cries and wakes up. Suggestions?

Default Re: My 17-month old using my breast as a pacifier

I am having the SAME issue with my 2 y.o. We just weaned him from his pacifier 10 days ago too, making this situation much harder!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

However, my son does not take a pacifier. I just don't get it. He's been using my breast as a pacifier for the last 6 months or so. I'd love to find a way to get him to stop this.

I always found that when K did this she was teething. It usually dissipated after a tooth broke through. If this really bothers you (and it sounds like it does), you can cuddle and rock him after unlatching him. It will take a bit for him to accept but he will.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I always found that when K did this she was teething. It usually dissipated after a tooth broke through. If this really bothers you (and it sounds like it does), you can cuddle and rock him after unlatching him. It will take a bit for him to accept but he will.
    I've also found that when I get tired of being a paci for DS, I tell him that I'm going to count to five and then we're going to be done with the ninny for a while. The first time, I unlatched him, but now, he unlatches himself after I get to 2.

Thanks! I'll try that! Last night I told him it's starting to hurt mommy and he unlatched and rolled over. I thought it was a coincidence. Maybe not! I'll try your idea.

My daughter always falls asleep at the breast and sometmesi does not want t let go. Not always but sometimes if I say, l"Let's try the other side." She rolls over and falls asleep. I don't usually say I'll give her something and then go back on my promise but this is one case where I make an exception. Don't know why it works but it does.