Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back to the breast as a toddler

Default back to the breast as a toddler

As many of you know DS was weaned around 9-10 months because of my milk pretty much drying up during my pregnancy..

now i really really really want to start nursing him again, but im scared its just not gonna happen. i dont think he would even have a clue how.

ive tried since ive had O and he just makes a funny face and has no idea what to do with it. im scared to death of his teeth but i still want to give it a try.

any suggestions how i could get N back to the breast? he is almost 14 months now. and hasnt nursed since about 10 months.

i was thinking maybe while feeding him a bottle i could try and swap real fast
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: back to the breast as a toddler

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I don't hand any advice, I just wanted to say
    and

DS1 successfully learned to relatch after DS2 was born. I offered often, and when he finally said yes I reminded him to open wide (say ahhhhhhhhhh) and would pull him in close real quick. No problems with teeth. The first time was while I was nursing DS2, so that was interesting to get situated! It might help to try one at a time for a while. Trying when I had some supply built up (rather than after DS2 had nursed) seemed to help because the milk would flow faster with less work. I tried to normalize nursing as much as possible by going topless at home, offering with a smile but not pushing, and just dropping it if he said no. One day he just decided to go for it.

He never has returned to full on nursing but I suppose at his age he didn't need to if he didn't want to? He was older than Noah when weaned and older when he learned to relatch (14mo when weaned and 22mo when he relatched). He still asks to nurse every once in a while, so I guess techinically he's not weaned? He just did a fly by last week, he is so silly sometimes.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Good luck! I think it's a wonderful idea!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Maybe I just have a different perspective - are you a SAHM? I work full time outside of the home. My 20 month old is still nursing 3-5 times a day and I am 10 weeks pregnant. I haven't experienced the major supply dip yet, and DS doesn't seem to be losing interest. He can sometimes be distracted, but is pretty much needing the wake-up nursing, before and after nap when I am at home with him (weekends and summer), and before bed. Sometimes in between. I am worried he is going to be jealous of kiddo #2 breastfeeding (he likes to nurse on one breast and play with the other ).

I am worried tandeming will be really challenging, and DS will take a long time to be ready to wean. I guess if it were me and DS was already weaned, I wouldn't push it...I would let him nurse if he wanted to try, but if it were me, I would concentrate on nursing my newborn, which can be challenging enough, and just give your first LO lots of love, attention and healthy snacks as much as you can. I don't know how long you would like to nurse, but I am afraid my DS will be one of those who will want to nurse FOREVER, and I know my DH is thinking that 2 years tops should be his nursing duration. I am willing to be a little more lenient, of course, but I would like DS to lead his own weaning if possible. So I am going to play it by ear.

Anyhow, that being said, I really admire that you are wanting to relatch your son. Good for you for wanting to continue the BF relationship and to do tandeming. I guess I don't have your resolve...working full time and the prospect of tandeming a 2+ year old ( a very energetic, mommy-centric one) and a newborn makes me . If you are seeking the bonding that goes with tandeming and having your little guy be in your control while your DD is nursing, maybe you can get him to cuddle with you and read a story while your DD is nursing. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by @llli*dreame; August 31st, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Maybe try a nipple shield with N to make it more "bottle-like?" I am assuming he's been taking bottles since he weaned at 9-10 months.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My DD weaned when my colostrum came in. She was about 18 months and by the time the baby came she had forgotten how to latch. She asks for milk every week or so, and tried to latch on, but she gags if she tastes my milk at all. She was 21 months when her sister got here, and is two now. I got her to latch on once, by showing her how to open wide and stick out her tongue, then I hand expressed a little milk for her. She gagged and pulled off, but I find her nursing on her Barbie all the time, so I kind of wonder if she still needs it.

I didn't mean to wean completely, I nightweaned, thinking we would still keep our naptime nursing, but she just wasn't interested.

I'm actually really disappointed that she doesn't like my milk, I was hoping to tandem, and had planned on nursing until at least two. Although I keep comforting myself by telling myself she is "mostly" weaned, since she still tries to latch and asks for "baby mama milk" every so often.

Good luck
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

just to update..

I try everyday to get N to nurse.. and the other day he actually tried.. he sucked a few times and then popped off then tried again.. so maybe we are getting somewhere!! even though he wouldnt have anything to do with it today or yesterday

we will see
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Congrats! I hope it continues to go well for ya'll.