Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: welps on skin from hair cut?!

Default welps on skin from hair cut?!

We went to get DS2's second hair cut today. Went to the chain kids hair cut place called Cool Cuts 4 Kids.

We had a good experience there the first time, DS2 didn't cry, just watched the movie and then we were done.

This time though he had terrible red raised welps on his ears and the skin behind his ears from the scissors, and on his neck too. I mean they were welps perfectly shaped to the scissors path. Oh they looked just awful.

We pointed them right out to our barber-lady and she said that he was the third baby today to have a reaction to it and that it was her scissors. I asked what they were made of and she said just steel.

But I highly doubt this. I googled it and it says that many people are skin reactive to nickel. Could this have been what happened?

And we can only use free and clear detergents, others give him dermititis. He has REALLY sensitive skin. But it didn't happen before at his first hair cut.

Any suggestions, observations, experiences? TIA ladies
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: welps on skin from hair cut?!

Certainly could be to nickel. My Eldest son has super sensitive skin (to some things) and when he gets his hair cut that is indeed one of the things that happens.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Sounds like it could be nickel. My daughter always had that reaction. In fact, we had to put a layer of clothing between her and anything with snaps or she's get a snap-shaped rash, too. You can put a little Benadryl cream on it. It will go away.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sorry your LO's get this too but...whew! to find out Ds2's not the only one. I was really worried for a while after!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

What about the cleaning solution they use to clean the scissors? It's odd that it happend to 3 kids in one day huH?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It's possible that it was the cleaning solution, but I'd lean towards a nickel allergy. Nickel allergy is really prevalent. So much so that most department and big box stores have an entire section of nickel-free jewelry. And stainless steel is bad about having a lot of nickel in it.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks LLLadies! I did take DS to the doc today and he just has sensitive skin. She mentioned it might be the cleaning solution too. In any case we aren't going back there. Just b/c we're scarred now!

But DS is so far allergic to detergents, fabric softener, peanut oil (only when it touches skin though), now maybe nickel or the cleaning solution. And he's gotten hives from the antibiotic cefdinir.

I think I'll look into RAST testing at his 2 year well child that's coming up.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF