Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Need sample menus PLEASE!

Question HELP!! Need sample menus PLEASE!

Hm! I am a bit on the lazy/clueless side of how to feed my 11 month old Annabella. I really suck at this.. I have come a long way as far as offering her foods everyday, and I realize that through the first year she is to get BM primarily...but with the thrush and pregnancy I am trying to get her to take in more solids..can anyone and everyone please list say.. a 3 day menu including breaskfast lunch and dinner and snacks inbetween?? I would be SO grateful, I am going to write down a menu and put it on my refrigator, then use it as a guide everyday until I get the hang of it... I feel stupid asking about this, but I really need some help! Thank you!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: HELP!! Need sample menus PLEASE!

just some ideas .... you can mix it up and add/subtract and make it something you can work with We always served ds the same dinner that we had. I usually did just veggies and fruit for lunch, and left the protein for dinner. I also tried to get a grain out of the way early (breakfast or first snack). We only did a dairy 2 or 3 times a week up until he was about a year.

Day 1
    Breakfast: ww toast, handful of blueberries, slice of watermelon
    Snack: apple, grated cheese
    Lunch: steamed peas/carrots with pears
    Snack: cheerios
    Dinner: shredded chicken, baked sweet potato fries, grapes (cut into quarters)

Day 2
    Breakfast: Boiled egg (just yolk if you haven't introduced egg whites), whole grain cracker(s), melon wedges
    Snack: plum
    Lunch: baked (or steamed/whatever) broccoli and cauliflower, apple wedges
    Snack: finger sandwich (half slice of ww bread with preserves, folded over so it was finger sized)
    Dinner: (if we had black bean burritos) black beans/brown rice, with cucumber spears and

Day 3
    Breakfast: yogurt, raspberries, dry cheerios
    Snack: banana
    Lunch: peaches, mixed steamed veggies (from frozen bag - if you're in a rush)
    Snack: whole grain crackers
    Dinner: (if we had pot roast) shredded beef, peas, carrot coins, potato
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Smile Re: HELP!! Need sample menus PLEASE!

Jenn thanks a MILLION, this is a GREAT help...and only because I am so clueless, I have just a couple of questions...I'll ask them in the quote!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    just some ideas .... you can mix it up and add/subtract and make it something you can work with We always served ds the same dinner that we had. I usually did just veggies and fruit for lunch, and left the protein for dinner. I also tried to get a grain out of the way early (breakfast or first snack). We only did a dairy 2 or 3 times a week up until he was about a year.

Day 1
    Breakfast: ww toast, handful of blueberries, slice of watermelon
    Snack: apple, grated cheese Do you do apple slices? Or mashed apple spoon fed?
    Lunch: steamed peas/carrots with pears I ALMOST did peas yesterday...I got scared she would choke on them! But I have been encouraged to try them anyway..I'll give them a go! Do you just let him pick them up and eat them on his own?
    Snack: cheerios
    Dinner: shredded chicken, baked sweet potato fries, grapes (cut into quarters) LOVE the grapes idea!

Day 2
    Breakfast: Boiled egg (just yolk if you haven't introduced egg whites), whole grain cracker(s), melon wedges Now how do you serve the egg?
    Snack: plum Mashed?
    Lunch: baked (or steamed/whatever) broccoli and cauliflower, apple wedges
    Snack: finger sandwich (half slice of ww bread with preserves, folded over so it was finger sized) FINGER SANDWICHES, that's a great idea! My sister was like.."Try giving her PB and J", I was thinking..."how can I do that successfully??" This is how! Cute!
    Dinner: (if we had black bean burritos) black beans/brown rice, with cucumber spears and Ah, so rice should be OK? I was going to give her some last night, but I was nervous...just on a small fork with a few grains at a time? Same with the beans?

Day 3
    Breakfast: yogurt, raspberries, dry cheerios Do you cut up the raspberries?
    Snack: banana
    Lunch: peaches, mixed steamed veggies (from frozen bag - if you're in a rush)
    Snack: whole grain crackers
    Dinner: (if we had pot roast) shredded beef, peas, carrot coins, potato
    Alot of questions, I know! But oh my..I am so excited..I would be completely and utterly...ashamed to tell you her feeding schedule now! It's pretttty bad, not healthy like that at ALL. I'm going to make a nice menu to keep on the fridge and once I get into the swing of it, start getting creative! Thank you so so so so so much, and annabella thanks you too!!!
    Last edited by @llli*mommyofanangel; August 31st, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

9-25-08

4-30-10

I know you didn't ask me, but I think those all make great finger foods. Does she do well with feeding herself yet? I wouldn't worry about mashing things, just chop into baby friendly pieces and let her have at it! My DD is a couple of months older than yours and pretty much the only thing she eats spoon fed from me these days is yogurt.

Not sure on the apple though, as I've just realised it's something I haven't given DD!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Thanks sentimental!! No I appreciate any and all feedback! She really does do much better herself when I let her do her own feeding.. (except yogurt of course....which OMG) I was letting her play in the fridge for a minute yesterday..her new found favorite place, so I could geta minute on the computer..she was having a nothing makes her happy day...and all of the sudden..it got really quiet behind the refrigerator door...something didn't sound "right"....low and BEHOLD, I get out there and look.... She had yogurt ALL over herself!!!! From that morning's cup...she managed to reach up and pull it down onto herself, and she was sitting there finger painting in it... LMAO, it was all in her hair, it looked like a bird pooped on her head, that's how it was splatted... then I was like "Oh Annabella..!" and then she looked up and was all like "Ehhhhhhhhh!" And started fussing... as IF she weren't having a grand old time.. That just reminded me..I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Got great pics for daddy. Thanks for the good words mama

9-25-08

4-30-10

How hysterical! I have a great picture of my DD covered from head to toe in yogurt too...yeah that was the day I realised she wasn't quite ready for that one yet. lol
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Holy cow, Jenn! Your kids are good eaters! My 19 month old doesn't eat anywhere near that amount!

I usually give him scrambled eggs with veggies mixed in for breakfast. Some crackers or fruit somewhere along the line during the day. And whatever we are having for dinner. He feeds himself, and always has, but when he was littler I made sure the food was in an appropriate size/texture for him to take bites out of. All the rest of the day, he nurses.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post

Do you do apple slices? Or mashed apple spoon fed? We did baby led solids and didn't mash anything. We offered all food either in very large pieces or really small bite sized peices. Hard foods, like apples, I left very big so that he would start with "scraping" the apple off with his teeth, kwim? whereas softer foods like baked sweet potato I offered in tiny strips or chunks. So to answer your question, we offered a whole apple. I would peel it and core it and give it to him like a ball, lol.
    I ALMOST did peas yesterday...I got scared she would choke on them! But I have been encouraged to try them anyway..I'll give them a go! Do you just let him pick them up and eat them on his own? Yup, I just gave him to them on his tray

Now how do you serve the egg? I mix it up. Some times I boil it and just cut it into bite sized pieces, while other times I scramble it.
    plum Mashed? Nope, I offered it in a wedge shape. Kind of like the shape of homemade french fries.

Ah, so rice should be OK? I was going to give her some last night, but I was nervous...just on a small fork with a few grains at a time? Same with the beans? I just lay the food on his tray and he feeds himself. I was nervous about rice in the beginning as well, so I would mix it with something else. So mash the beans into it so the rice wouldn't get inhaled

Do you cut up the raspberries? nope

Alot of questions, I know! But oh my..I am so excited..I would be completely and utterly...ashamed to tell you her feeding schedule now! It's pretttty bad, not healthy like that at ALL. I'm going to make a nice menu to keep on the fridge and once I get into the swing of it, start getting creative! Thank you so so so so so much, and annabella thanks you too!!!
    lol, it's hard to get a handle on it. I followed the advice of a lot of mama's on here You'll find your groove

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Holy cow, Jenn! Your kids are good eaters! My 19 month old doesn't eat anywhere near that amount!
    lol, we leave the amount up to him. I followed shelly's advice of offering a few different things for every snack/meal. So for example if he had "ww toast, handful of blueberries, slice of watermelon" for breakfast he would probably eat 10 blueberries, equivalent to maybe 1/2 cup watermelon (which is more like a drink) and probably 3/4 of his slice of toast (crust removed until he was about 14 months). But yeah, generally speaking both my kids are good eaters. Variety is definitely key. I find they both eat more when there are a bunch of different things on their plate.

Some days ds2 only has one snack, other days two. At about a year I was offering 2 snacks but he didn't always eat two. He still (at 17 months) nurses 8-12 times a day and some days I'm surprised he eats solids at all

Also, I forgot to add to my first post, that up until about 14 months, I nursed before meals if the last time I nursed was more than an hour before a meal time, kwim? So if I nursed at 11:15 and lunch was ready 11:45 I wouldn't nurse before giving him solids, but if I nursed last at 10:30 and lunch was ready at 12:00, I would give a quick nursing session before I gave him lunch. Then I felt he could "top up" on whatever solids he wanted.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Jenn...thank you, thank you, and THANK you!! This helps us IMMENSELY! It's so embarressing, but I swear this is crazy helpful! I have my list made..and I can't WAIT until hub gets paid this weekend so I can go shopping! Annabellas gonna be so excited!! I'm not sure which one of us is going to enjoy this more!!! Thank you so much for sharing, it's a HUGE eye opener!

9-25-08

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    Hm! I am a bit on the lazy/clueless side of how to feed my 11 month old Annabella. I really suck at this.. I have come a long way as far as offering her foods everyday, and I realize that through the first year she is to get BM primarily...but with the thrush and pregnancy I am trying to get her to take in more solids..can anyone and everyone please list say.. a 3 day menu including breaskfast lunch and dinner and snacks inbetween?? I would be SO grateful, I am going to write down a menu and put it on my refrigator, then use it as a guide everyday until I get the hang of it... I feel stupid asking about this, but I really need some help! Thank you!!
    Hey girl i just saw your post. youre pregnant?! wow how exciting congrats!!! sorry to hear about the thrush . i hope it is clearing up and you are feeling better!!!
    i am still so inconsistent with feeding Lennon. Somedays I'm like, oh here let's share a banana, but then on other days ,if we are out and about and he wont nurse much, I'm giving him bites of my chicken, veggies, everything! and he eats it all right up. ..i hope i'm not being too bad of a mama being so inconsistent!!

anyways, good luck and congrats again!!!!!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!