Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soy milk for 10 month old?

Default Soy milk for 10 month old?

I have been giving LO a little soy milk every day, maybe 1/2 oz with breakfast. On Tues and Thursdays she is in day care from 9-11 AM and 3-5:30 PM.

I pump milk (about 2 oz) for the 2 hours I am away from her in the morning, and DCP supplements with food.

In the afternoon she is away from me for the 2.5 hours (remember this is just 2 days a week) and I don't have enough milk pumped for her. I would like to start giving her 2-4 oz Soy milk just 2 days a week in the afternoons. If I pump more i get OS. In fact I already have it from just pumping 2 times a week. I think that the soy milk should not be harmful in this amount. What are your thoughts?
    Nursed for 18 months

Default Re: Soy milk for 10 month old?

personally I would not give any form of milk before a year

ETA: based on research that a babies diet should be primarily breastmilk (or infant formula) for the first year. Their tummy's are so tiny that every drop counts, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I understand what you are saying. Though it is only, say, 6 oz a week at DCP.

I wonder how I can get around the problem of OS. My pump is inefficient which is part of the problem I am sure, but I'm not going to buy a new one now (and pay well over $100). I'm totally ready to cut back on some of the BF. I love it but I don't like that I can't be away from her. After 10 months I feel like I want a LITTLE freedom. Maybe a better option than soy milk would be soy formula - just 6 oz a week? (Unless the soy formula uses corn syrup, which I think they do, making them less healthy than soy milk.)

Nursed for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    I think that the soy milk should not be harmful in this amount.
    I don't think it's likely to be harmful, especially in such a relatively small quantity- but it just isn't as beneficial as breastmilk or formula. Until a year, I'd err on the side of caution and use formula (sorry to use the "f" word!) if I couldn't provide enough mama's milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Soy formula 43.2% Corn syrup solids, 14.6% soy protein isolate, 11.5% high oleic safflower oil, 10.3% sugar (sucrose), 8.4% soy oil, 7.8% coconut oil; Less than 2% of: C. cohnii oil, M. alpina oil, calcium phosphate, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, sodium chloride, ascorbic acid, choline chloride, L-methionine, taurine, ascorbyl palmitate, ferrous sulfate, m-inositol, mixed tocopherols, zinc sulfate, d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, L-carnitine, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, cupric sulfate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, vitamin A palmitate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, biotin, sodium selenate, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

Soy milk Filtered water, whole organic soybeans, organic evaporated cane juice, natural flavors, calcium carbonate, natural vanilla flavor, sea salt, carrageenan, vit a palmitate, vitamin d2, riboflavin, vit b12

Also, non-organic soy formula uses genetically altered soy beans. How can the soy formula be healthier?
    Nursed for 18 months

most formulas are full of crap. You really have to search for a decent one - and they are pricier.

It makes sense though, because it's hard to mimic the dense calories found in breastmilk. There is no other natural way to have that many calories and nutrients in a single serving. Which of course is why breast is best. Soy milk is lacking the fats and calories (as well as some nutrients) for a baby who needs lots of that, kwim? The formula, sadly, will make up for the loss of calories, but is made with cheap products, like corn syrup
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Makes sense. Thanks for your responses. I'll probably just keep pumping, and deal with the OS.
    Nursed for 18 months

Smile Re: Soy milk for 10 month old?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    most formulas are full of crap.
    I don't know why...but I never pictured you using a curse word Jenn!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Why are you staying away from regular dairy-based formula? Is there an allergy issue? A lactation consultant recently told me something about research now saying that soy is really bad for infants - something about it stunting their growth I think. Sorry I don't really have info on where to find the research. As the other mamas have said, soy milk doesn't have all the nutrients and calories that formula has, although if you aren't having any weight issues, it may not be a problem in such a little quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    I don't know why...but I never pictured you using a curse word Jenn!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08