Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real food instead of purees....

Question Real food instead of purees....

Ok my little girl is 6 1/2 months old and i stared solids at 5 1/2 months. she never really liked eating the purees. i have tried some puffs, cheese, real peaches cut up really small, and real banana cut up. she would rather have the real food. She is still nursing great around 5-6 times a day and i nurse her before she eats table food. so my ? is: is it ok if we skip over the baby purees and just go straite to table food?. (obviously not feeding her strawberrys, honey, eggs, shrimp...stuff she cant have until 1.) She seems kinda young to be having table foods, but she loves it and seems happier now. ???

Default Re: Real food instead of purees....

No problem at all going directly to "real" foods .... lots of mamas here have done it!

Look for posts called "baby led solids" or "baby led weaning" (in England starting solids is called "weaning").

Guidelines document here that many people follow.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Absolutely no need to start with purees.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS has never had purees. He's 2.5 now but we never gave him any pureed foods period. Instead of baby cereal he had regular oatmeal. We started off with watermelon because that's what we had at the time, then moved onto avocado, bananas, etc. We usually went by the "french fry" size/shaped items that he could hold. Watermelon we did give to him in a mesh feeder simply because he wouldn't stop when it came to that...heck he still doesn't

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

We never did purees either!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

BLS here as well. Our first foods were pieces of baked or steamed sweat potato and banana. Avocado is a great first food as well because it is packed with oils and nutrients.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We never did purees either. DS actually started eating off of our plates pretty early on, which was great because he learned to eat a lot of foods and textures (although I had to cool it on the hot peppers). BLS are a wonderful way to go, and the norm in many societies.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

With ML, we went the puree route. She seemed to like them and it worked for us most of the time. When CI was ready to eat solids, I decided to go the babyled way & only gave him real food. It was so nice to not have to puree everything or make sure to buy a jar of (organic) baby food when we were going out to eat, he just had what we did. Far easier & more fun!!
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

My dd also mostly has table food. I do puree her sweet potatoes because she only likes them with a smooth texture. We just waited until around 9 months and the dr said she could eat anything we at except for nuts and shellfish. She wasn't really interested in solids before she could feed herself because she wanted to do it herself.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

BLS are great! I have tried to ask WIC about them before and my Ped. But they dont reallyknow much, but baby led solids could possibly include pureed foods if your baby likes something that is pureed. We kinda do both. My son loves to chew on steamed carrots and bananas, apples and green beans, but also, sometimes as a treat, (its kindof like ice cream or something!) We do make our own baby food becuase sometimes he likes to be fed too it depends on his mood, he loves carrots and apples pureed together and put in the fridge til they are cold. ALso remember that it isnt really necessary that your baby eat solid foods so if she just likes to pick off your plate sometimes, she is still getting all of her nutrients from breast milk solids are pretty much for fun right now anyway.
    Still nursing strong since 1/11/09! ! Still sleeping in the family bed Expecting Baby #2 5-29-11!!!