Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mix bm with formula?

Default mix bm with formula?

I am pumping and today I am super low ...does anyone know if it is possible to mix 2 oz bm and 2 oz formula or should I feed them seperately???

Default Re: mix bm with formula?

I believe it's better to give EBM and formula separately -- first the EBM, and then the formula. That way if the baby doesn't finish the 2nd part, none of your EBM is wasted.

Sorry to hear you are frustrated with your pumping output. Have you checked out the pumping board for advice and support from other pumping mothers?

--Rebecca

yes I have- its just on really busy days that my output is low- like I forget- or rather postpone eating and drinking so there you go... I hate to complain but working at home and taking care of 2 lo's who are 14 mos apart doesnt leave much time for nourishment!!-- truth is I need to get a sports bottle and attach it to my hip to make sure I drink alot...yet no matter what I dont eat I look like crap...I want this weight to go away- its so depressing that my DD is 3 months and I look like I am 6 mos pregnant! Last month I looked much better- this mo I havent been excersizing so I guess my ab muscles cant be doing anything if theyre just there and not being crunched...I wish I had more of a push to fit even the smallest workout in..everytime I say I will take them for a stroll, one is sleeping and the other has to be changed, fed, etc...

yes, you can…BUT it is highly recommended that you don’t…that you should feed the EBM first and then the formula…as the pp said, you wouldn’t want to waste any part of the bottle if you both EBM and formula in it (since EBM is like liquid gold!! )…so it’s best to not mix the two. however, if you do decide to mix the two, you should prepare the formula as you would normally prepare it and then add the EBM.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    I believe it's better to give EBM and formula separately -- first the EBM, and then the formula. That way if the baby doesn't finish the 2nd part, none of your EBM is wasted.
    ITA This is what LLL recomends. Always offer them in separate containers and offer the breastmilk first.

I don't personally have any experience with this, but I have a friend who fed twins with the ebm and formula mixed for about 3 or 4 months and didn't have any problems. There is what people say you should do and then what is practical for you.

You sound so down on yourself. It's just been 3 months. You really need to allow your body at least the amount of time it took you to put on the weight, to get it off or back to the pre pooch state. I need to exercise more too, and it is hard. I try to do some fun "exercising" with baby, lifting her up, putting her on my legs, and so on. She thinks we are playing and hopefully it's paying off for me too. The 14 month old might have fun trying things with you. Try not to be so down though!

I mix them all the time. You generally get a sense of how much they take at a feeding. My guy always takes at least 4 ounces, so I give him that. Don't make a huge bottle, and it won't be wasted. Also, I know how you feel on the weight loss front, I'm there too. I just figure that things will HAVE to slow down at some point and maybe then I can exercise again.

The reason I am so down on myself about the weight is cuz I got married 2 and 1/2 years ago and I quit smoking 3 mos prior to getting preg w my toddler- now 19 mos old...so by quiting the ciggs I gained 15 lbs and then got preg...then gained 30 lbs thruout the preg, and dropped 20 lbs after and then just as it happened last time when my toddler turned 4 months I started gaining weight instead of losing!! I was EBFwhich made me wonder why and how come I wasnt losing instead of gaining??!! same thing now- I actually started preg #2 with 20+ lbs more than my usual weight- which made the pregnancy more heavy and harder for me to carry my toddler around...and now that baby #2 is turning 3 mos I see weight gain agaiin??? I dont even have time to eat so how is it possible?? I would love it if I could take them to the mall and buy myself some clothes but I refuse to buy clothes that are fit for a 5month pregnant me and not the me I used to be!!! And dont you just hate those magazines showing off the stars who gave birth and look like their bodies never went thru a pregnancy??? I know they have nanies and personal chefs and trainers...but it makes me sick!