Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Waitressing and Pumping

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma!
    Posts
    286

    Default Waitressing and Pumping

    Hello everyone! My good friend is expecting her first LO this October and I have been trying to share with her the joys of BFing. I really hope she does it! She says she really wants to try, but I've been telling her she has to REALLY be COMMITTED! Especially since she will have to go back to work asap. I'm a SAHM so its difficult for me to really inform her much on pumping and such. My DS had never successfully taken a bottle and I'm a horrible pumper anyways!

    Anyways...I'm concerned because she works as a waitress in a fairly busy restaurant. I've also always worked in this field and its hard for me to imagine how she will find time to pump and take care of all of her tables! Anybody have an experience with this? any tips I can pass on to her? I of course have, and will continue, to suggest that she joins the forum! thanks!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

    Peace!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    That *is* a hard profession for finding regular breaks! If she lives close by, could she work shorter shifts, or split them? I know one gives you less money, and the other puts you away from your baby for longer... It's the only thing I could think of, unless she knows the demands of her restaurants well enough to be able to have one of the other workers cover her tables for twenty minutes near the same time every day....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In Peace
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    no help right now, but wanted to BUMP this thread

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma!
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    That *is* a hard profession for finding regular breaks! If she lives close by, could she work shorter shifts, or split them? I know one gives you less money, and the other puts you away from your baby for longer... It's the only thing I could think of, unless she knows the demands of her restaurants well enough to be able to have one of the other workers cover her tables for twenty minutes near the same time every day....
    She works at a Red Lobster. I worked there too for over 6 years, and the way their shifts are is 1045 until 4, or until 2 if you work a double. the other shift is from 4-10/11. SHe usually works doubles and is thinking she will just pump at 2. But is that enough??
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

    Peace!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma!
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    It sucks cause she really wants to give breastfeeding a try. I'm worried for her, scared she won't even get 6 weeks off with her LO. Her entire pregnancy her bf has said he's "going to" get a better job, or a second job (he waits tables too, but doesn't do well at it at all!). WEll, here she is at the end and he still does what he's always done, including going out all the time in order to "deal with her horomones" !!
    She basically works her ass off and is on her feet all day. SHe pays all the bills now so i dont know how she is going to get any time to bond and nurse her little girl But she always excuses him and seems to think that once she has the baby he'll get serious.

    sorry. i didnt mean to change the subject! Please help me help my friend
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

    Peace!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,242

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    I'm a cocktail waitress and I have time to pump at work. I only have to pump once during my shift and my employers are very accomidating. If she thinks that she may breastfeed and need to pump at work, have her go to her employer ahead of time and inform them of her plans. She may not get to pump at the same time EVERY time, but she should be able to fit at least one session in.


    I'm Laura, mamma of 2

    5-27-06

    8-30-08

    We love and

    We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma!
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    I'm a cocktail waitress and I have time to pump at work. I only have to pump once during my shift and my employers are very accomidating. If she thinks that she may breastfeed and need to pump at work, have her go to her employer ahead of time and inform them of her plans. She may not get to pump at the same time EVERY time, but she should be able to fit at least one session in.
    so would one session between say 1045 and 8/9ish when dinner rush is over be enough? Sorry, I've never had to worry about pumping and so im a little clueless here. I thought if she had a baby that, for example, wanted to nurse every two hours then she would have to pump every two hours while away? Thanks again for the advice!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

    Peace!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,242

    Default Re: Waitressing and Pumping

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*namaste View Post
    so would one session between say 1045 and 8/9ish when dinner rush is over be enough? Sorry, I've never had to worry about pumping and so im a little clueless here. I thought if she had a baby that, for example, wanted to nurse every two hours then she would have to pump every two hours while away? Thanks again for the advice!
    It depends on how much milk her baby is going to need while she is away. I used to always pump about half way through my shift.

    Maybe she could start puming before she goes back to work to start building her stash. If she can do this, than pumping once during her shift should be okay. I have made it work just fine, and I work in a VERY busy place.


    I'm Laura, mamma of 2

    5-27-06

    8-30-08

    We love and

    We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •