Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solids, Breastmilk and Constipation...

Default Re: Solids, Breastmilk and Constipation...

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy
    have you tried water water water? for some babies it works, My son had a horrible tummy when he was around 3 months old, doc said only give him water for 6 hours, did the trick. do you put his legs up when he's trying? or another little trick is to use a tiny bit of the greasy vasline and rub a bit just inside, (i mean just inside, not inside!) sometimes this helps 9for adults as well)

BM should make him go but every baby is different, once you find his trigger you'll be set
    We have tried water. I make sure that he drinks plenty with every meal and snack time. Here is something I think is weird. He passes a lot of gas when he is bf. I don't know if it is just his way of trying to have a movement or if he is having gas issues in his little belly.

I'm sorry things arent sorting themselves out faster for you guys.

I know it's natural to worry, but some ppl are more prone to constipation than others. It's such a balance - trying out different foods and eliminating others, trying different treatments, home remedies. you've goten a lot of good tips and advice here. keep it up- you're doing a good job trying to help your baby

I did cut out the cheese, although last night I broke down. We had grilled cheese for dinner and he wanted some sooo bad. He cried and cried until I gave him a little. He still seems so gassy. DO gas drops actually help with anything like that? WHen I nurse, it is like he is playing the tuba...he just toots his little way a long. Lately he seems to be straining more. Slippy you have been such a great help. Thank you!

We had the same thing going...it helped to totally avoid or limit constipating foods and feed more things that support regularity. My ds was crying and in pain when he had bowel movements and it hurt to see him like this so I feel for you and your peanut pooper !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy
    have you tried water water water? for some babies it works, My son had a horrible tummy when he was around 3 months old, doc said only give him water for 6 hours, did the trick.
    Guidelines for offering water

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

What has worked for my now 9 m/o is eating two prunes myself everyday! I buy the cherry essence prunes which are very good and that helps her from becoming constipated. When she has been constipated and as a last resort, I put KY jelly on a Q-tip and gently inserted it into the rectum, as you would a thermometer, and twirl around. That usually stimulates them enough to push.

As far as the powdered laxative, my now 5 y/o was on Miralax for over a year and all the ped's. in our practice felt that is was benign and not at all habit forming. Just concentrated fiber...

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by christinep

As far as the powdered laxative, my now 5 y/o was on Miralax for over a year and all the ped's. in our practice felt that is was benign and not at all habit forming. Just concentrated fiber...

Hope that helps.
    I would not consider Miralax to be benign. It isn't a fiber laxative, but rather it works by retaining water in the stool, softening it and increasing the frequency of bowel movements. It can cause problems if used long term and may have side effects.

From personal experience, I would avoid using it in an infant. I was given some while in the hospital and it made me sick and gave me diarrhea. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving something like that to my baby. Just my humble opinion.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Watch the glycerin suppositories, too. The fine print says that they can cause a burning sensation.... Before I saw that fine print, I tried one with my 3-year old who was potty training and withholding stool. He absolutely SCREAMED--not when it went in, but after it started to "melt". It was horrifying, and I swore I'd never do that again.

We have had success at last! The "baby drano" is finally working!!! Garrett had another wonderfully huge movement yesterday. He has been drinking lots of water lately and I know that has helped, not to mention I started taking the flaxseed oil myself. Hopefully things will keep up the same way that they are going. Thank you all for your wonderfully helpful suggestions and information! This has been a terrfic first experience with LL for me! You all are great!

Smile Re: Solids, Breastmilk and Constipation...

I have found that constipation can also be caused by lack of nutrients. Our 15 month old is supplemented with Baby Calm by Peter Gillham. It is a magnesium supplement and it is one of the primary mineral/nutrients needed by the entire body. Usually when a person is craving chocolate or sweets, the likely culprit is being low on magnesium. (I had this throughout the entire pregnancy, FYI there is also a Mama Calm). I highly recommend both! The great thing about the Baby Calm is there are no artificial sweeteners, it is sweetened with natural stevia and it provides the help your baby needs to maintain proper functioning organs/tissues. I highly recommend going a more natural route through foods and quality supplementation. I also recommend a good mutivitamin PLUS minerals. Lifeschoice makes a good one available from mothernature.com, it does contain soy lecithin. My son had been having difficulties with his stools and I am happy to say that after using both of these products there has been much improvement in his poops, demeanor, sleeping, and overall well-being. Wild Oats carries some of the Calm products or you can go to the website www.petergillham.com to find a local distributor. Good luck!!!