Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solids, Breastmilk and Constipation...

Default Solids, Breastmilk and Constipation...

I have a ten month old, who is still bf and has been his whole life. At six months old, I introduced him to solids. He wasn't very interested at first, but has been getting into eatting a lot more now. When he was about 8 months old he started to have problems with constipation. When he does deficate, he lets out little poops that I can only describe as looking like chocolate covered peanuts. Everynow and then he will have a good bowel movement, but this does not happen very often. The doctor prescribed a powdered laxitive for him to take, but he doesn't like to drink very much. I have been trying to nurse him more and increase his water consumption, but nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions? I can't stand to see him in pain because he is unable to have a movement. Please help my peanut pooper!

Default Re: Solids, Breastmilk and Constipation...

How much solids is he eating and what kinds? I know some solids in particular can contribute to constipation in many babies: cereals, rice, banans, etc.

Also, how often is he nursing? How many wet diapers has he been making in 24 hours?

Have you tried cutting back his solids for a few days to see if that helps?

I concur with the PP about the foods he may be eating....Rice cereal is a binding agent, for sure, as well as bananas. Is your child eating any sort of "table" food? Fresh fruit (other than bananas) helps tremendously. Pears are particularly helpful, or pear juice. They're not as nasty as prunes. Try not to get in the habit of the powder laxative...they can be habit-forming.

I had the same problem. my gal has always been an infrequent pooper, but when she took off with the solids, it got worse. she was straining, and working too hard- crying with poos and they were too formed. when she had one hard "rabbit poo" that woke her up crying in the morning- i knew i had to do something.

what we did-
    -cut out rice and bananas until the poos got easier- then slowly introduced them back in- in smaller quantities once we were back on track

- i made her a cereal we call "baby drain-o" in our house. It's made from oatmeal- although any cereal would do- excpt rice. I ground up a peach, a pear and 5 prunes in my food grinder and added that to the cereal- it ended up being almost half cereal /half ground fruit. I then froze them in serving sizes. That night we tried it out. when she was ready to eat, after the cereal had been heated- i added 1 tsp of flax seed oil to her little bowl. she loved it and the next morning she had a messy blow out the likes of which we hadn't seen in a long while. and again that night, then a more reasonable poo the next morning.

she even looks more relieved now. I give her the cereal plain every morning, and only add the flax oil if it's been a while since her last poo. and i've only had to do that once.

I found some helpfull stuff from Dr Sears

good luck!

Garrey is mostly eating Gerber baby foods. He eats a lot of fruits and veggies. When the problem originally started, I did what Dr. Sears suggests and increased the about of veggies and fruits that start with P's, but even that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I was not aware that bananas are so binding. He does have about a quarter of a banana every other day or so. I will cut that out now to see if that makes a difference.

He doesn't eat rice cereal and rarely eats actual rice...he is not a fan. Where we live there is not a lot of fresh fruits available...i really like the idea about making the baby food "cereal" but with such limited access to fresh fruit, what should I do???

Do dairy foods also have a negative effect on an already constipated baby??? He loves cheese and yogurt and eats them fairly frequently...he also LOVES turkey. Should I reduce his meat intake??? I have increased his water intake and now he has gone from breastfeeding about 4-5 times a day to 6-7. I am hoping to see a change natrually. Does flax seed oil have any negative side effects???

Thank you for all your help!!!

Yes, dairy can also be binding. The fruit/cereal blend sounds like a great idea. If you can't find fresh, it's OK to use canned.

Cheese can certainly be binding, especally if the baby isn't quite ready for it. Dairy can be quite hard to digest for little tummies and anything that is difficult to digest can cause constipation.

I think increased nursings will help more than anything else, since breastmilk is such a wonderful a natural laxative.

I haven't seen any negative reports on using flax oil, because it is a source of fatty acids, and supposedly doesn't leach fat soluble vitamins like mineral oil can. you could also use ground flax seeds added to any food- buy a little bag at a health food store and wisk them up in a blender or clean coffee grinder. that has the oil as well as the fiber.

the dairy could definitely be having an effect. milk products can be quite binding- especially cheese. carrots and squash can be constipating, too. I've also heard that apple sauce can be constipating, but apple juice can have the opposite effect I think it's a matter of finding the foods that could be likely culprits and weeding them out until things get back on track- figuring out what your babe's constipating foods are. I don't think the meats would be causing any problems. if the foods he's eating have an iron supplement, that could do it too, so if you cut out iron fortified cereal- he'll need the iron from meat. Also, if you're giving yogurt- it's good to make sure that it has active cultures- lacto bacillus and acidophilus. these good bacterias can help the natural flora of the gut get back to normal, especially after/ during antibiotics. you can also get Pro-biotic at healthfood stores to do the same thing.

as for making your own cereal- it's really pretty do-able. I used the oats that you get in the cereal isle- not packaged oatmeal, which is higher in sugar and other stuff, just plain rolled oats. I used the amount of oats and water on the bag for 2 servings, but I wisked them to a finer consistency in my coffee grinder first (which was never used for coffee ) but just because that's the texture my gal prefers. - then cooked on the stove. (but you can microwave) instead of fresh fruit, you could use frozen or canned- just get the kind in juice, nut syrup- no sugar added. pitch the lot in a blender/ food processor/ grinder and mix and add until you're happy with it. oh- and I also added some bran to the cereal- the flaked stuff from the cereal isle, but i imagine any kind of bran would do.

also- don't be afraid of the glycerin suppositories. you can get them at any pharmacy- just ask the pharmacist how much to give your babe. they just melt and make it easier to pass the stool- they don't have any stimulants in them that can cause cramping. when I notice my girl is extra fussy and working hard, I pop one of those bad boys in and it helps. it makes it easier for them to go- less painful because constipation is a self perpetuating problem- the more it hurts to go- the longer they hold it- then the harder the stool is and the harder it is to pass.

what is the name of the powdered laxative? sometimes they prescribe a bulking agent like Metamucil which is just extra fiber(psylium husks), but sometimes they contain a stimulant. the stim ones are the ones I would be more cautious about using frequently because of the cramps and habit forming nature.

oh, the joys, huh? I miss the days of constant feedings, breastmilk poops. who would have ever though that i'd miss those

The baby drano isn't working!!!! I have been feeding him it for about three days with little result. He has tried the flax seed and that doesn't seem to be affecting him either. We are breast feeding more often and about 3 days ago he has a beautiful breast milk poo...but the only thing since then was a hard chunky poo. I am worried their may be something more serious wrong. Anymore suggestions???

Hi Garreysmum,
    It sounds like you are really worried about your ds!

The BM poop 3 days ago was a great start!

What exactly is ds still eating? Did you cut out the cheese?

You may have to be more aggressive in your elimination of other foods.