Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making "baby food"

Default Making "baby food"

We have made the personal decision to make all of our baby food rather than by the jarred type. So far, it has been really easy and I can't undestand why so many people were so discouraging to us in the beginning. (not here of course) We got all sorts of comments telling us that it was going to be so hard, it was too time consuming, we were being to "protective" ( I don't even get that one) and that is was just a dream that we could actually do that and not have to buy the jarred food. Well, all I have been doing is pureeing the stuff that we already are eating. It's worked out fine and our son seems to LOVE it. His favorites have been peas, papaya and mango. I just don't get why others think that is so hard. It literally just takes a few moments each day to prepare his meals. Anyone else out there doing this? Perhaps we can share some ideas and tips.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Default Re: Making "baby food"

i made all of my own purees too. once she was about 8 months old i made them a little thinker or just started to give her pieces of food and before we knew it, she was eating everything. it really wasn't that hard to make the food and for the next lo(when the time comes) i've got my magic bullet back so i'm really excited about that!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

My Mom has the magic bullet and she loves it. I hadn't thought about getting one for us, but that's a good idea. I currently just use the blender, but the bullet would be much smaller and more convenient.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

I just make them in batches. So I have lots of apples, pear, cereal, broccoli, beans, peas etc.. all stocked in the freezer and I defrost them before I feed it to DS. By doing this, it saves me lots of time and when the supply is low, I make another batch again.
    Mama to KC born 21-Oct 08
    We and

Does the brocolli give your LO gas?

Proud Vegetarian Momma

We made our own food. We pureed large batches and froze it in ice cube trays and defrosted it in our bottle warmer. I would spend about an hour every 2 weeks making big batches, it was hardly any work at all!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I wanted to make my own baby food but dd doesn't like to be spoonfed. So I just waited to do solid foods until she could pick food up herself and just gave her whatever we were eating. But I did store the food in ice cube trays that were designed for baby food. Then I popped the ice cubes into a gallon sized freezer bag and labeled it. Unfortunately she never liked to be fed so I never got to feed it to her. But making baby food is relatively easy.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tmwmommy View Post
    I wanted to make my own baby food but dd doesn't like to be spoonfed. So I just waited to do solid foods until she could pick food up herself and just gave her whatever we were eating. But I did store the food in ice cube trays that were designed for baby food. Then I popped the ice cubes into a gallon sized freezer bag and labeled it. Unfortunately she never liked to be fed so I never got to feed it to her. But making baby food is relatively easy.
    dd loved to feed herself too. i would defrost the cubes and give them to her in a bowl and spoon and let her play. she would start to taste it and keep trying it. can be messy but it makes for great pictures!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*knm626 View Post
    dd loved to feed herself too. i would defrost the cubes and give them to her in a bowl and spoon and let her play. she would start to taste it and keep trying it. can be messy but it makes for great pictures!
    I l0ve d0iing this it is a mess t0 clean up but they sure have fun!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

You might like this website:

http://weelicious.com/category/recipes-6-9-months/

It's a fabulous resource for making babyfood, toddler food and older kid food too. I use it all the time and love, love, love all the recipes that are on here. Every single one has been delicious.

We use this roasted veggie sauge:

http://weelicious.com/category/pasta/page/2/

(scroll down to the 6th recipe)

I serve it to the whole family almost every week instead of spaghetti sauce and it's a favorite.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens