Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastshield Size?

Default Breastshield Size?

Hi Ladies,

I'm having trouble trying to figure out what size breastshield works best for me. I know, sounds silly, but the truth.

How much does the WRONG sized breastshield affect pumping output? I know your nipple is not supposed to rub against the sides of the shield, but how much of the area around the nipple should move inside the shield?

Sorry if I sound ignorant...

Thank you, as always, for your input!

Default Re: Breastshield Size?

been there! try this thread for lots of helpful info

be sure to look at the links that were posted for photo examples
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thank you! I think mine are the right fit, but I am still confused (like some other women on that thread) as to how much areola is also being pulled into the shield...not really sure when I'm pumping where the nipple ends and the areola begins! Guess I'll try a size larger and see how it goes, because I'm in pain!

Thanks again!

Another thought and please don't laugh...is it possible for your nipples to get bigger over time from pumping and breastfeeding?? Maybe mine have changed? I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    Thank you! I think mine are the right fit, but I am still confused (like some other women on that thread) as to how much areola is also being pulled into the shield...not really sure when I'm pumping where the nipple ends and the areola begins! Guess I'll try a size larger and see how it goes, because I'm in pain!

Thanks again!
    It was a try it kind of thing for me, in any case it should NOT HURT at all
    Another thought and please don't laugh...is it possible for your nipples to get bigger over time from pumping and breastfeeding?? Maybe mine have changed? I don't know...
    I don't think they change size but mine have always been huge
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

...is it possible for your nipples to get bigger over time from pumping and breastfeeding??
    Bigger in diameter, or longer? Mine definitely got longer- they were pretty flat pre-baby. Bigger in diameter- well, it didn't happen to me but I don't see why it might not happen to someone...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think maybe I've been pumping for too long and that's why it hurts? I don't know. Sometimes it doesn't.

I guess I never really took a look at my nipples from the front (just the side). Maybe they have stayed the same size? Never thought I would be thinking of these kinds of things! LOL!