Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very upset at Pedi for my 25 wkr on BFing and VAX's

Default Re: Very upset at Pedi for my 25 wkr on BFing and VAX's

My son couldn't latch without the nipple shield when he was your daughter's size either. She'll get there. It's a hard road, but so rewarding. I think it's awesome that you are able to give her breastmilk this whole time mama! So many people would have given up but you are perservering!

The shooting pains in your breasts - do you think you might have thrush? If you or your daughter were on antibiotics, you're more susceptible to it. It's worth looking in her mouth and seeing if there's any white stuff in the sides of her cheek and if you think you see some, have her Dr look. If so, she needs to be treated and you need to be treated as well. I've got lots of suggestions for that, so let me know if that's it.

I'll ask in a few places and see if I can find anything about the fortifier. I'll let you know.

How is your daughter doing otherwise? How are you doing with everything else?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hi mama! You have gotten so much awesome advice from Jen, so I will just add some words of encouragement! You are doing an incredible job!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You're already getting awesome advice from Jenniebean, and her experience with a prem baby is more recent than mine also!

I'm amazed and very impressed that after having a 25 weeker, that you managed to pump 1,300ml in a day!! The most I ever got when pumping was around 500ml. I still kept ahead of the daily feeds for my daughter, but always suffered with low supply. So well done to you!

Looking after a prem baby is totally unchartered territory, and I wish I had known this forum was here when I was going through it, as it would have been so helpful.

Pumping is very tiring, and I especially found when we got our daughter home, that BF her, then pumping after for future top ups was tiring, as it seemed like all you were doing was either BF or pumping. As the BF's would last an hour or more, due to their tiring so quickly from sucking. Then you had to pump after that, and if you were lucky, they slept for a few hours to give your body time to build up more milk.

It's such a shame that the doctors aren't more supportive. Here the doctors I dealt with, and all the medical professionals, were very supportive, promoted breastfeeding strongly, and offered lots of help if you asked for it. Different countries seem to have different approaches to it.

They do get very regimented in the approach to saying "your baby isn't gaining enough weight" etc, but the charts they use are mostly based on formula fed babies, and they often can't accept the concept of breastfeeding where you don't measure out specific volumes of milk for each feeding.

Definitely get back in touch with the LLL leader in your area. They know so much and have access to lots of info.

Nipple shields are fine. I've heard of mothers who use them for several months.

Also, the suggestion about a larger cup for the pump may work. I had to get a larger size, as the standard one was too small for my nipples, and they got sore with the pumping.

Again, well done for getting where you have so far! You're definitely giving your daughter the absolute best you can.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

I haven't been able to find much for you about fortifying. Here are 2 links...

http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemi...t-please-help/

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=72548
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Thank you everyone its been a bit busy for me off course. Plus we had to finally buy another computer since we were having major issues, so I haven't been on.

Jenniebean you have provided me with so much great information, thank you so much. everyone on here I wish I could invite you all over for a Mommy group....if we only lived close to each other......haha

I will just address the questions and not each of you directly since I probably should be sleeping now, haha

Still haven't contacted my local LLI leader again just seems like my time is cut between feeding, pumping, catching up with sleeping and eating, helping DH in keeping our house in order, i forget to do alot of things for myself, but I guess that is all part of being a mommy?!

Ok update on the weight as far as 3 days ago she was at 7lbs 4oz which is actually an ounce more than what she usually gains in 4 days. (before that she was 6lb 15oz) I started researching coconut oil since I have always been interested in its natuaral and nutritive properties. I found articles on homemade baby formula using it and also some research saying it was good for the growth of low birth weight babies. So i purchased organic virgin coconut oil and added it to her milk instead of the corn oil they recommend. I think maybe thats what helped her gain weight since she doesn't seem to mind it. I still hope to take her off the fortifyier sooner than later but I still am weary of doing it so soon and will try a few more tests weaning her to full breast milk and then weighing her. I am also now interviewing a few new pediatricians which actually list in their clinical interestes; breastfeeding, nutrition and alternative medicines. Hoping to find a better match for my family soon.

I have had to go up in size before in the NICu and I am already up to the 36mm Medela flange size for at 2 months or more. I never thought my nipples would get so big but I think the pumping also swells me up. The burning sensation alsoworries me because i had severe pain and mastitis in the NICU and was treated for yeast as well. I stil have the APNO ointment they precribed me and I also bought gentian violet but never used it. I may want to start a regiment of it again. Also the pain could be a combination of things hopefully i can treat part of it i will try the gentian violet tonight.

Has anyone had experience with APNO or gentian violet?

Oh yes the nipple sheild is a love hate relationship but we have had at least 3 more successful latches and full feeding with out it. I think when i get so frustrated to the point of desperation my daughter gives me that little glimer of hope. I wish the shield were more natuarl shaped or even softer so it wasa little more like a breast, its seems to be so hard towards the tip. At least the ones i am using which were free from my NICU are. They are Medela shields and I have standard size and small and she only lkes the small which is not so great for me but it works good enough. Maybe as her mouth gets bigger I can use the standard size which fit me better. I wonder if I should buy different brands and see if they are better for me.
    Proud Mommy to a 25 wk Preemie born April 18, 2009, at 1lb 4 oz, Came home August 6, 2009 at 5 lb 4 oz 4oz defying all the odds, growing and strong on Mamas Milk!!!

Hey mama,

I used APNO when Owen and I had thrush. It helps with the discomfort of thrush. But to get rid of it I used Grapefruit Seed Extract and gave both Owen and I probiotics. If you do a search for Thrush or Grapefruit Seed Extract you'll find some threads on it. There's been a lot posted on here about that topic.

Glad to hear you are still working on this. I really, really recommend seeing a lactation consultant.

By the way, the kids and I will be out your way the end of the month. Let me know if you need anything.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hi its taken me a while to reply I'm still getting the hang of this. I'm home alone alot more now that my husband has to be away monday to friday for work. Its been hard to take time and read the forums.

I'm seeing a new Pedi tomorrow and I have already been through interviewing her and we seem to be off to a good start. I have a severe case of thrush so much so that it has grown into a skin rash. I was on many antibiotics and my body must be pretty off balance for this to have come this far. I was treating my niplles but not my other parts of skin on me. I didn't know it could be this bad. Now I am going full force to remove the invasion.

The breast feeding became difficult the past few days because of the thrush. Soon I hope to be breastfeeding more times again and be yeast free.
    Proud Mommy to a 25 wk Preemie born April 18, 2009, at 1lb 4 oz, Came home August 6, 2009 at 5 lb 4 oz 4oz defying all the odds, growing and strong on Mamas Milk!!!

lots of info here about thrush and the breastfeeding family.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

you can kick it!

How is your baby doing?