Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now my baby wants to nurse ALL THE TIME

Default Re: Now my baby wants to nurse ALL THE TIME

Oh, honey, we'll be thinking of you! I think back to some of those early weeks, and I remember some really challenging nights...really. You have to know that it will get easier!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

ktroia,

I went through this with my daughter when she was a newborn - I just had to change my way of thinking. In some cultures after a woman has a baby she just stays in bed with her baby and basically nurses for 6 weeks. I just had to give up my sanity and stay in bed with my baby for a few days. Me and her in bed with some water and the remote control. Hubby would bring me food and basically wait on us because my primary function in that moment was to feed my baby. I know it is hard, and I'm so thankful my DH is sooo supportive. I even had him go buy a can of formula because I didn't think I was going to make it. I would just stare at that can of formula thinking about how much easier MY life would be if I busted that can open and gave her a bottle. My DH would say, lets just try one more day and see if it gets better and you know what? It did. It got better. She got older and now it is so easy and fulfilling. I am so happy I changed my thinking. We are there for our babies. Just enjoy your new little one... get cozy in bed with her... you have to remember she was inside your body getting constantly fed for 9 months. She didn't even know what being hungry was until just a few days ago. She was literally attached to you! Coming to this realization helped me so much!

You can do this and you will be so glad you did... in a few months it will be second nature. It will get better, I promise you! Now my Anna nurses every 2-3 hours during the day but she only takes about 5-10 minutes to get her business done! At night she nurses every 5 hours about but she is in bed with me and I enjoy every minute of it. She is 4.5 months now.

Just try to relax and stop and smell the roses as they say. Enjoy your baby and enjoy this miracle of being able to be the sole food source for that little one. She relies on you to meet her every need! Knowing that has been humbling and empowering for me at the same time.

I second AnnasMom. You do have to change your way of thinking. Start focussing only on your LOs needs and forget your own right now (I know, an awful thing to say). Let your support system (DH, mom) take care of you while you take care of baby. I know you can't see it at the moment but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Many of us have been there and we can assure you IT DOES GET BETTER!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

You're reaching the point where sleep deprivation becomes downright crazy-making. BTDT! This is when moms start seeing double and walking into walls.

Go to bed. Have someone bring you the baby to nurse. Otherwise, you REST while they do everything else. Sleep. Nurse. Eat/Drink. Rinse and repeat. You'll get through it, and with any luck at all, you won't really remember these days a few months down the road.

Any luck with the pinky-finger trick?

--Rebecca

ktroia:

Just checking to see how the night went and how you're doing today? Hang in there! These babies get older and like all the pp said, it does get easier.

DD ended up sleeping from 10:30-4:30am after I nursed her one last time last night... We did try the pacifier last night, but DD was completely uninterested in it which was what I thought would happen - she's 2 weeks old today and I don't think she wants anything in her mouth other than something that will produce milk. I got a great night sleep, so that helps tremendously. She's laying next to me right now in bed and seems pretty content, so hopefully it won't be a 'milkfest' all day today. I hear what everyone's saying about camping out in bed, but for my own sanity, I need to be able to ~do~ something in the day; even if it's something small like walk outside for a few minutes. Plus, when DD gnaws on my nipple, it is so painful that I get upset and need to be able to walk away. It kills me to hear her crying hysterically and know that she just wants to nurse again. I really think that she wasn't getting much milk out of me b/c of how much she's been nursing. I have very small breasts, and they aren't huge as a result of nursing, so maybe I'm just not producing as much milk as she'd like to be receiving?

I don't know. I feel better today (but it's early!), and we have our 2 week pediatrician check up today so we'll ask him a bunch of questions as well.

I love this baby so much and it really bugs me that I'm having so much trouble with this.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, it helps so much to be able to vent.

During the first 6 weeks, most babies nurse constantly to increase mama's milk supply. So, at 2 weeks old, she's probably still working really hard to get your body to produce enough milk. The first 6 weeks are the hardest... If you can get through that (and you will!) it will get easier (minus growth spurts which are just like this!).

Big hugs to you for sticking it out. You can do it mama! Keep up the awesome job! You are doing so great!

Now THAT sounds like the end of a growth spurt -- baby finally fills up and wears out, and everyone gets 6 hours of sleep and life is good again.

You are doing such a fantastic job as a new mother. I want you to stop doubting yourself, stop worrying about your milk supply, and pat yourself on the back.

As a friendly warning: If you go into that ped's office today talking about baby's constant nursing and worrying that your breasts are too small and can't make enough milk, you just might hear advice that is going to undermine your confidence. Your breasts being small has nothing to do with their ability to make milk. You might have a smaller "storage capacity" than someone with larger breasts, but they make the milk just fine, as proven by your baby's excellent diapers. What can interfere with good milk output is stress/tension/worry -- those hormones can prevent an easy letdown, so baby gets frustrated, and then mom might think she doesn't have any milk, and it becomes a vicious cycle. YOU HAVE ENOUGH MILK. If you nurse on cue and avoid supplements, you will continue to have enough milk. Try to relax and believe in what your body is already doing.

Hope you can get out for a walk today -- that sounds like an excellent idea.

--Rebecca

I am glad to hear that you are still hanging in there and that you got some good rest. I have had plenty of nights where I had to walk away in frustration and it is really discouraging and hard to beat yourself up. But I always felt like a whole new person after some good rest and had to remember that the tired, frustrated, evil version of myself was not the real me. So walk away and take a breather if you need to and hang in there!

She's still nursing all the time and I'm still questioning my milk supply... She seems to be getting frustrated while on the breast now - especially my right breast which doesn't seem to be as large/firm as my left breast. She jerks her head back in frustration and it's getting really excrutiating.