Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Opinions on Eating Pattern - 8 month old

Default Opinions on Eating Pattern - 8 month old

I was hoping people could give me their opinions on my DS eating patterns as an 8 1/2 month old. He started solid foods around 6 months and took to them. I'm asking advice because I work outside the home a lot of hours, and so I just want to double check that this makes sense.

A typical day:
    Nurses with me around midnight
    Nurses with me around 4 AM
    If I'm still at home at 6AM, he'll nurse again, otherwise my husband gives him 2oz of bm mixed with 2 oz of formula (my supply just won't keep up) He'll also get a jar of baby food -- he's a fruit fanatic, usually pears or prunes.
    Nanny then lets him snack though out the day -- usually gets a total of 12 oz of 50/50 breast milk/formula combo, plus maybe another jar of fruit.
    I get home sixish, he nurses as soon as I walk in the door. Then he might have a few bites of fruit (half a jar) or whatever we're eating for dinner. He nurses before he goes to bed (7:30ish). If he wakes up as we're going to be around 10, I'll nurse him again.

If I do the math, that's four-five nursing sessions, plus another 12 oz of breast milk/formula, plus solids. Does that seem like enough breast milk to you guys? I don't want to be substituting solids for high quality nutrition. He's always been slightly smaller than average -- mainly 40th percentile. It seems okay to me, and he certainly is a happy guy, I just worry about whether I'm doing the right thing. TIA
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Default Re: Opinions on Eating Pattern - 8 month old

it sounds ok, have you tried any veggies yet? is he gaining weight? my dd was and still is on the small end, but that is just fine because she is gaining weight and growing. that is what matters, go with your mommy gut feeling! if you feel he is ok, then keep up with what youare doing and add a few new tastes here and there

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*knm626 View Post
    it sounds ok, have you tried any veggies yet? is he gaining weight? my dd was and still is on the small end, but that is just fine because she is gaining weight and growing. that is what matters, go with your mommy gut feeling! if you feel he is ok, then keep up with what youare doing and add a few new tastes here and there
    We keep introducing veggies, but he is not a fan. The first bite he hacks and sticks out his tongue, the second he just turns his head away and refuses. I've learned that we just can't make him eat what he doesn't want to! But thanks for the support!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008

dd hated, i mean HATED peas and green beans. i mixed apples with it and she ate it just fine. you should 'try' different things about 10-15 times before officially saying they don't like them. Oddly, but not really, those are the only veggies she LIKES now(20ms)!!! wont eat carrots or squash and those were her favorites at a baby! kids are weird but that is why we love them so much!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

blue, when you say "eats whatever we're eating for dinner", do you have examples of what those things are? I also have an 8 month old, but I haven't tried table foods that may have spices or other ingredients for her yet. I'm still giving her fruits, veggies, grains, but I'm moving to chicken and such hoepfully this week. I wonder if spices like cinamon is OK at this point? I want to mix it w/ her fruits or cereal.

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bam007 View Post
    blue, when you say "eats whatever we're eating for dinner", do you have examples of what those things are? .
    When I say whatever we eat for dinner, I truly mean just teany-tiny tastes, many a spoonful at most, but we do try to vary it. Even Indian food, smashed potatos with garlic, beans, etc, just tiny bits to try to vary his palate. I am often very surprised about his tastes -- he won't eat plain peas, but gobbled up baba-ganoush one night. Very weird. That is truly just experimental, with no intention of any calories. When I'm home, the vast majority of his calories come from breast milk.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008