Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to work cup v. bottle

Default Returning to work cup v. bottle

Hi:

Ok, the dreaded has happened. An offer that was too good to refuse came up and I am returning to work at the end of next week. I love my work and it's time, but I hate to leave the LO.

Anyway......Nicole has never liked the bottle, hasn't had to take the bottle and therefore won't do it now. She takes the cup great. Of course, she nurses to sleep or drowsy then lays in her crib to sleep. I spoke to the dcp regarding her taking a cup and she said they prefer them to use the bottle for the majority of the time. Is that so they will sleep while at dc? Anyone had experience with needing a dcp to offer something other than a bottle??

Thanks

Default Re: Returning to work cup v. bottle

Hi Chris,

I don't have any experience with daycare, however I know people who use full time daycare and they all use bottles. The one piece of advice that I can give you is be sure that they don't want to use a bottle because they prop. With a cup you need to really pay attention to a little one, but if they have all bottle fed babies then they can prop most of them and help the ones they can't prop. I may insist they use a cup just to be sure that they aren't propping. Just as a side note, it is possible to get a baby to use a bottle when they have refused it in the past. We have done it, using a lot of patience and practice. My husband found that if he didn't hold her (putting her in a high chair or bouncy seat) and made it a fun game then he can at least get her to take some of the milk from the bottle. Just something to think about.

Congratulations on your new job and good luck!

Thanks! We've busted out the bottles (all of the different kinds we tried before) and are going to try again Hopefully, since she's older now, she'll be a little easier.

In addition to playing with different types of bottles, play with positioning. Facing baby out, cradle hold, in a bouncy seat, laying in the lap, in the sling, whatever you guys can come up with.

I know many daycare providers that use a cup for their breastfed infants. It's a change for them, and hard for them to accept (change is hard!), but once they learn that baby takes it just fine, they should be ok with offer. Can you ask DCP to try the cup for a week, to see how it goes? Reiterate that this is your preference, due to nipple confusion, and bottle refusal in the past.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon
    In addition to playing with different types of bottles, play with positioning. Facing baby out, cradle hold, in a bouncy seat, laying in the lap, in the sling, whatever you guys can come up with.

I know many daycare providers that use a cup for their breastfed infants. It's a change for them, and hard for them to accept (change is hard!), but once they learn that baby takes it just fine, they should be ok with offer. Can you ask DCP to try the cup for a week, to see how it goes? Reiterate that this is your preference, due to nipple confusion, and bottle refusal in the past.
    Thanks for your input! I was thinking much the same I'm going to dcp w/ her for a while before I start working. If I can show them she's good w/ cup they will be more comfortable. I am still going to try the bottle w/ dh or dd#1 (I'm not an option). Also, if it is a napping thing, tell them again how she will go down w/o a bottle. DH & DD#1 are both good at getting her down w/ patting or singing etc.

If it were me, I would stick with the cup since it is working. Starting a bottle now seems like going backwards to me. I don't see why your daycare wouldn't want her to use a cup.

My LO won't take a bottle even though I've been back to work for 4 weeks. They try every day to give her a bottle at daycare, and she won't do it. We have started trying cups this week, and just today she drank some from the Nuby cup. We are all so happy to be making some kind of progress, and the daycare will feed her any way that she will take it!
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

We use the Nuby as well. She does great with it - and it's sooo inexpensive. If your daughter was not taking a bottle at day care and you're just starting the cup, how was she eating while you were at work?

They absolutely will let her use a cup, but their example was to give her a cup when she was having "lunch". She's only eating one meal of solids a day if you want to call it that. It's more like she's smooshing food in her face, but some is making it to her mouth so we'll call it eating. They might have their work cut out for them.

I feel the same way, as long as she eats, why do they care how she eats? That's why I got to thinking it was more of a getting her to nap issue??

Starting off this way, doesn't make me get the warm and fuzzies, KWIM?

I appreciate your advice and knowing other babies are at dc and not taking a bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H.
    We use the Nuby as well. She does great with it - and it's sooo inexpensive. If your daughter was not taking a bottle at day care and you're just starting the cup, how was she eating while you were at work?
    She's not! She waits it out. It's usually about 4.5 or 5 hours. They try every day to give her a bottle, but she doesn't want anything to do with it. She drank some from that Nuby cup yesterday, but today she wouldn't. I'm hoping she will do it again though.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

That's what I'm so worried about. She'll be there 6 - 6.5 hours. That's too long to not eat. I hope she keeps taking from the cup for you. That's what I'm banking on as well. We've been trying the bottle yesterday and today - she's just major frustrated and we end up nursing instead. Talk about mixed signals. I'm sticking to the cup and showing them she's fine with it. I'll send bottles but I think they are going to just hit a dead end w/ it. We'll see??!!

Good luck!!!

Have you thought about other feeding options? Medicine droppers work well for some infants, as do those medicine pacifiers (if your baby already takes a pacifier). So do shot glasses, and medicine spoons.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!