Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If you don't give LO cows milk, what do you give them?

Default If you don't give LO cows milk, what do you give them?

I EP and I am not sure how long after 1 year I will keep it up (it is very difficult to keep up with and my supply keeps dropping no matter what I take, eat or how often I pump). I am not entirely sold on cows milk either. I know the ped will recommend cows milk and I am not sure what I will do. I am not totally against milk but I know people who that is all they gave their children, no water or not much juice. I know I probably give will give him organic milk from a local dairy but I don't know how much he needs a day if he needs it at all. If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

Default Re: If you don't give LO cows milk, what do you give them?

As far as I know, after 12 months of age, milk is not a *mandatory* part of a child's diet. However, it is a good source of vitamins/calcium, but so long as your LO is eating solids well and you are sure he can get the needed vitamins/calcium from other foods, I don't think cow's milk is necessary. Sorry, I'm not sure I answered your question.

Here is some info I found on the Kellymom website: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids...s.html#cowmilk

Cow's milk?

Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

Good non-dairy sources of protein include meats, fish, peas & beans (chick peas, lentils, baked beans, etc.), tofu and other soy products, boiled eggs, peanut and other nut butters (if your child is not allergic).
    Good non-dairy sources of fats include soy and safflower oils, flax seed and flax seed oil, walnuts, fish and fish oils, avocado. Adding fats to cooking and baking can work well, for example, stir fry in safflower oil or make mini-muffins with soy or rice milk, oil or butter, and eggs.
    Calcium may be derived from many nondairy sources.
    Vitamin D can be supplied by sunlight exposure and food sources.
    If your child is not nursing regularly and is not allergic to cow's milk products, but simply doesn't like cow's milk, you can incorporate milk into your child's diet in other ways. Many children like cheese, whole-fat yogurt or ice cream. You can also put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods.
    Some moms wish to offer cow's milk to their toddler, but baby doesn't like it. Over the age of 12 months, milk becomes a more minor part of a child's diet. It is sometimes helpful to mix increasing amounts of cow's milk with your expressed milk to help baby get used to the taste. Many dietitians see nothing wrong with adding some flavor (such as strawberry or chocolate) to cow's milk.
    Pediatricians now recommend that any cow's milk be whole milk from a cup after the first year and until the child is at least 2 years of age. This ensures that your child receives enough fat, which is essential to proper brain development. After the age of two, if growth is good, you can switch to low-fat or nonfat milk. Note: If your child is nursing, then remember that mom's milk is "whole" milk - the more breastmilk your child gets, the less need to worry about your child getting additional fat from whole milk or other sources.

It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

dr sears has some good info about milk on his web site.

Most I would give my kids was about 4oz in a day. after they were weaned.
    Plus they ate real cheese and yougart.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp

When I weaned DD2 we gave her the "toddler formula". I think it was Enfamil that made it. It was supposed to be better than milk, more calories and nutrients that cow's milk alone. But, we still limited it to 16-24 ounces or so each day.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

I started giving my son a mixture of almond milk and hemp milk at 15 or 16 months. I make sure to buy only the unsweetened versions. I know hemp milk sounds kind of trippy, right? But there's omegas and other good stuff.

He's 3 now and still has the same milk combo, but much less of it.

He has only ever had a sip or two of cow's milk when his grandma visits.

Theresa
    Theresa

Neither one of my kids drink cow's milk. Obviously, there is calcium in cow's milk, but the bigger reason they recommend it is because of the FAT and PROTEIN. At a year old, those two components are extremely important for brain development. Obviously, breast milk is better for a toddler than cow's milk, but if you pump wean, it is very very important that your child is taking in enough fat and protein in the foods that they eat (which is a hard thing to accomplish through diet alone, since they don't generally eat a well balanced diet) Rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc... do not have the right ratios of fats and protein. So, if you choose stop pumping, you have to make sure they are getting the right nutrients. If you choose not to do cow's milk, and they are not eating cheese and yogurt, than I would speak to a registered nutritionist to make sure they are getting everything they need.

great post shannon.

I am not opposed to cow's milk I guess I got freaked out since a friend's daughter drank so much when she was little she would poop white marbles, and I am not exaggerating. I just don't want to over do it I guess. I know I will continue to pump after a year but I guess I was looking for some other options too. He eats yogurt and cheese,(thankfully he out grew the milk protein sensitivity a month or so ago)
    And on another post someone wrote something about the pus fill milk out there and that just turned my stomach!
    I appreciate all the good suggestions. I will keep pumping a few times a day for as long as I can and give some CM along with water and some juice.
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

Goat's milk or ewe's milk are also options.